unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* [announce] GEE/Streams 0.1
@ 2007-12-04 19:34 Marco Maggi
From: Marco Maggi @ 2007-12-04 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

GEE/Streams is a C language library extension for Guile, the
GNU's  Ubiquitous Intelligent  Language for  Extensions.  It
implements  a  replacement for  the  (ice-9 streams)  module
distributed with Guile.

If we are not Scheme newbies and we see a form starting with
(fold  ...):  we  know  immediately  the  structure  of  its
code. There is a great advantage if we compare this with the
time  required   to  understand  the  control   flow  of  an
equivalent explicitly coded form.

Streams are an answer to  the questions: ``Is it possible to
apply  a FOLD  like  procedure to  a  non--list sequence  of
values?  And what about MAP and FOR-EACH?''

Guile already  comes with the (ice-9  streams) module, which
allows Scheme level code to iterate over non--list sequences
of values.  GEE/Streams is a C language re-implementation of
the same  interface that  allows both Scheme  and C  code to
define streams.

The advantages upon the pure Scheme module are:

* speed, especially with long sequences;

* the procedures work with streams, lists and vectors;

* (gee misc  streams-1) loads GOOPS: a class  is defined and
  bound  to  the <stream>  symbol;  that  way GOOPS  generic
  functions can dispatch  methods for streams (unfortunately
  there is no way to select a base <sequence> class);

streams can be implemented with  both a Scheme or C producer
function.

<https://gna.org/projects/gee>
<http://download.gna.org/gee/gee-streams/gee-streams-0.1b5-src.tar.bz2>

--
Marco Maggi

"Now feel the funk blast!"
Rage Against the Machine - "Calm like a bomb"

* Re: [announce] GEE/Streams 0.1
@ 2007-12-05 23:18 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2007-12-05 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Maggi; +Cc: guile-user

Hi,

On Tue 04 Dec 2007 20:34, "Marco Maggi" <marco.maggi-ipsu@poste.it> writes:

> Guile already  comes with the (ice-9  streams) module, which
> allows Scheme level code to iterate over non--list sequences
> of values.  GEE/Streams is a C language re-implementation of
> the same  interface that  allows both Scheme  and C  code to
> define streams.

Haven't looked closely at what you have, but have you seen the paper:

  http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/wadler/papers/lazyinstrict/lazyinstrict.ps

?

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: [announce] GEE/Streams 0.1
@ 2007-12-07  6:32 Marco Maggi
From: Marco Maggi @ 2007-12-07  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

"Andy Wingo" wrote:
>> Guile already  comes with the (ice-9  streams) module, which
>> allows Scheme level code to iterate over non--list sequences
>> of values.  GEE/Streams is a C language re-implementation of
>> the same  interface that  allows both Scheme  and C  code to
>> define streams.
>
>Haven't looked closely at what you have, but have you seen
the >paper:

>http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/wadler/papers/lazyinstrict/lazyinstrict.ps

It had the off-by-one error in it. Fixed.