unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* ANNOUNCE: Common Music for Guile
@ 2002-10-18 13:54 Rick Taube
From: Rick Taube @ 2002-10-18 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Common Music (CM) is now available for Guile 1.6.0. Common Music is an algorithmic music composition "environment" that can be used with a variety of differnet sound syntheisis packages like CLM, Midi, Csound etc.  The cm archive is available from CCRMA at:

ftp://ftp-ccrma.stanford.edu/pub/Lisp/cm/sources/cm-2.4.0.tar.gz

I'd like to express my thanks to the many Guile developers for producing such a friendly and powerful Lisp environment. I was really quite amazed at how straight-forward it was to convert a large set of CLTL/CLOS sources over to Guile/GOOPS. The Goops MOP is actually better than what you find in many of the CLTL implementations.

There were really only a few things I missed from CLTL2 (besides loop :) )

1) a compiler
2) a compiler
3) a compiler
4) an equivelent for cl:*load-pathname* so a file can know what its name and directory its in without having to deal with %load-path
5) some sort of save-application function so "images" can be saved and rebooted.

If 4 and 5 actually exist Id love to know about it.  I did read some notes about a possible future compiler for Guile and I hope that this become a reality. Music and sound syntheisis applications would benfit hugely from the speedup!

best,
Rick Taube
Associate Professor Composition/Theory
School of Music
University of Illinois
Urbana IL 61821
taube@uiuc.edu

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Common Music for Guile
@ 2002-10-18 21:15 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-10-18 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Rick Taube <taube@uiuc.edu> writes:

> Hi, Common Music (CM) is now available for Guile 1.6.0.

Great!

> There were really only a few things I missed from CLTL2 (besides loop :) )
>
> 1) a compiler
> 2) a compiler
> 3) a compiler

We'll get to that eventually, I hope.  And once we have 1, points 2
and 3 should be easy.

> 4) an equivelent for cl:*load-pathname* so a file can know what its
> name and directory its in without having to deal with %load-path

You can use

   (port-filename (current-load-port))

> 5) some sort of save-application function so "images" can be saved
> and rebooted.

In theory, you should be able to use unexec with libguile.  I did this
way back when, and maybe it still works.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Common Music for Guile
@ 2002-10-25 23:10   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-10-25 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> wrote:
> Rick Taube <taube@uiuc.edu> writes:
>> There were really only a few things I missed from CLTL2 (besides loop :) )
>>
>> 1) a compiler
>> 2) a compiler
>> 3) a compiler
>
> We'll get to that eventually, I hope.  And once we have 1, points 2
> and 3 should be easy.

What form would that be likely to take?  Maybe a gcc frontend?

paul

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Common Music for Guile
@ 2002-10-26  3:56   ` Clinton Ebadi
From: Clinton Ebadi @ 2002-10-26  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

On Friday 18 October 2002 17:15, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> In theory, you should be able to use unexec with libguile.  I did this
> way back when, and maybe it still works.

How do you use unexec exactly? I tried to use it with Guile, but failed
miserably (it dumped a new program named dguile, but dguile doesn't work).
Unexec could make Guile start up faster by having Guile dump a version of
itself with all of the startup files loaded like Emacs does (then nifty stuff
like (ice-9 format) could be used in the default config without adding to the
load time).

--
http://unknownlamer.org
Truth lies in loneliness

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Common Music for Guile
@ 2002-10-26 12:00     ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-10-26 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> wrote:
> > Rick Taube <taube@uiuc.edu> writes:
> >> There were really only a few things I missed from CLTL2 (besides loop :) )
> >>
> >> 1) a compiler
> >> 2) a compiler
> >> 3) a compiler
> >
> > We'll get to that eventually, I hope.  And once we have 1, points 2
> > and 3 should be easy.
>
> What form would that be likely to take?  Maybe a gcc frontend?

The first compiler will likely only be able to write our tree-codes to
disk.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Common Music for Guile
@ 2002-11-03 17:33     ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-11-03 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Rick Taube, guile-user

Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org> writes:

> How do you use unexec exactly?

I can't say anymore.  The old guile-unexec is here

    ftp://ftp.red-bean.com/pub/guile/contrib/misc/

Looks pretty simple...