unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Call for contributions to update the project list
@ 2007-12-05 21:46 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2007-12-05 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

With all these lengthy debates, I think time has come to update the
Guile project page.  :-)

I started a new project page (almost) from scratch:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/gnu-guile-projects.html

The previous one is still available at:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/old-gnu-guile-projects.html

The rationale for the new page is:

  * to list only reasonably active projects, preferably projects that
    work with 1.8, so that the list is really helpful to newcomers;

  * to simplify list entries to make them more perennial, faster to
    read, and hopefully easier to update;

  * to try to have a better categorization (previous page had
    "Libraries" as a category, which is way too vague IMO).

So far very few projects are listed (and I'm involved in several of
them, I'm shameless ;-)).

People working on Guile-related projects, please provide updated entries
using the following HTML format:

  <DT><B><A HREF="http://PROJECT-URL">PROJECT-NAME</A></B>
  <DD><TABLE>
  <TR><TD><I>description</I></TD>
  <TD>A few sentences describing the project...</TD></TR>
  <TR><TD><I>license</I></TD>
  <TD>A free software licence</TD></TR>
  <TR><TD><I>requires</I></TD>
  <TD>a list of dependencies, e.g., Guile 1.8</TD></TR>
  </TABLE><P>

Make sure to not depart from this format so that it's easy to integrate.
In addition, tell what category your project belongs to.  If your
project does not fit well in the existing categories, please propose a
new category.

Thanks in advance,
Ludovic.

* Re: Call for contributions to update the project list
@ 2007-12-06  8:18 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-12-06  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user

() ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès)
() Wed, 05 Dec 2007 22:46:14 +0100

     * to list only reasonably active projects, preferably
       projects that work with 1.8, so that the list is really
       helpful to newcomers;

my stuff works w/ (unofficial) guile 1.4.x.
would it be welcome on that page?

i suppose the deeper question is, do you think newcomers would
enjoy variety?  (i would say yes, personally, from when i was a
newcomer, but maybe i'm just weird.)

thi

* Re: Call for contributions to update the project list
@ 2007-12-06 23:24   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2007-12-06 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> my stuff works w/ (unofficial) guile 1.4.x.
> would it be welcome on that page?
>
> i suppose the deeper question is, do you think newcomers would
> enjoy variety?  (i would say yes, personally, from when i was a
> newcomer, but maybe i'm just weird.)

He he, that's a tough question.  ;-)

My personal opinion is that we could have a link to Guile 1.4's main
page (say, in the "Core Projects" section), but adding links to
1.4-based projects may lead to confusion since they won't work out of
the box with the Guile that's offered for download on this very web
site.

What do others think?

(My deeper feeling about this "schism" is that it's unfortunate
for the Guile community, to say the least.)

Thanks,

@ 2007-12-07  7:17 Marco Maggi
From: Marco Maggi @ 2007-12-07  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

If it is fine for you, I will submit a description for each
component
of GEE as soon as a new usable version becomes available. It
makes sense for me because GEE version 0.4 is no more a single,
all inclusive, package.

  <DT><B><A
HREF="http://gna.org/projects/gee">GEE/Streams</A></B>
  <DD><TABLE>
  <TR><TD><I>description</I></TD>
  <TD>An extension that offers a C implmented replacement
for the (ice-9 streams) module.</TD></TR>
  <TR><TD><I>license</I></TD>
  <TD>GPL 2 or later</TD></TR>
  <TR><TD><I>requires</I></TD>
  <TD>Guile 1.8</TD></TR>
  </TABLE><P>

Maybe you can add a section at the bottom of the projects
page that shows the HTML chunk to be used, so that people
can prepare it and then post it directly on guile-user when
announcing a package. Thanks.
--
Marco Maggi

"Now feel the funk blast!"
Rage Against the Machine - "Calm like a bomb"

* Re: Call for contributions to update the project list
@ 2007-12-08 15:08 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2007-12-08 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi Marco,

"Marco Maggi" <marco.maggi-ipsu@poste.it> writes:

> If it is fine for you, I will submit a description for each
> component

Fine by me.

>   <DT><B><A
> HREF="http://gna.org/projects/gee">GEE/Streams</A></B>
>   <DD><TABLE>
>   <TR><TD><I>description</I></TD>
>   <TD>An extension that offers a C implmented replacement
> for the (ice-9 streams) module.</TD></TR>
>   <TR><TD><I>license</I></TD>
>   <TD>GPL 2 or later</TD></TR>
>   <TR><TD><I>requires</I></TD>
>   <TD>Guile 1.8</TD></TR>