unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* building guile problem (configure: possibly undefined macro)
@ 2013-03-25 13:19 Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-03-25 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello Guilers,

My first post on this list, so please go easy.

I am trying to build guile from repository on ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I cloned git repo
and checked out stable branch.

tried to run "autgen.sh"

First, problem automake version.

It seems to build guile I need to have automake 1.12 atleast.

╭─────
│okhotsk19:~/repos/scm/guile$ /usr/bin/automake --version
│automake (GNU automake) 1.11.3
│Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
│License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>
│This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
│There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
│
│Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
│       and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <adl@gnu.org>.
╰─────

I feel that dependency is somewhat harsh given that ubuntu 12.04 is the latest LTS.

Any way I compiled automake from source,

╭─────
│okhotsk19:~/repos/scm/guile$ automake --version
│automake (GNU automake) 1.12.4
│Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
│License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>
│This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
│There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
│
│Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
│       and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <adl@gnu.org>.
╰─────

Now, I run autogen.sh gives errors. here is shell log.

okhotsk19:~/repos/scm/guile$ ./autogen.sh

autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69
License GPLv3+/Autoconf: GNU GPL version 3 or later
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>, <http://gnu.org/licenses/exceptions.html>

Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

automake (GNU automake) 1.12.4
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
       and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <adl@gnu.org>.

libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.2
Written by Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@gnu.ai.mit.edu>, 1996

m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.16
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by Rene' Seindal.

flex 2.5.35

autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4
configure.ac:881: warning: macro 'AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /home/yagnesh/local/bin/autoconf --force
configure.ac:61: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:80: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
configure.ac:81: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.ac:908: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT
autoreconf: /home/yagnesh/local/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

Thanks.
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు.
YYR

* Re: building guile problem (configure: possibly undefined macro)
@ 2013-03-25 14:33 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-03-25 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> skribis:

> It seems to build guile I need to have automake 1.12 atleast.

Yes.

> I feel that dependency is somewhat harsh given that ubuntu 12.04 is the latest LTS.

Automake is not needed when building from a tarball.  So we’d just
requiring that from people who are likely developers (to be) of Guile.
This doesn’t sound unreasonable to me.

> configure.ac:61: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:80: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
> configure.ac:81: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
> configure.ac:908: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT
> autoreconf: /home/yagnesh/local/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

Make sure to install libtool-dev and gettext-dev (or similar packages).
They should provide the Autoconf macros mentioned above.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: building guile problem (configure: possibly undefined macro)
@ 2013-03-25 15:24 ` Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2013-03-25 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: guile-user

Hi,

I had the same problem. The problem is that the aclocal directory in
/usr/local/share or something doesn't get the m4 macro files that you
can find in e.g. /usr/shara/aclocal and it's there the build system
looks. Maybe there is a better fix dunno.

/Stefan

@ 2013-03-25 15:40   ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-03-25 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Israelsson Tampe; +Cc: guile-user

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for the reply,

> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem. The problem is that the aclocal directory in
> /usr/local/share or something doesn't get the m4 macro files that you
> can find in e.g. /usr/shara/aclocal and it's there the build system
> looks. Maybe there is a better fix dunno.

I grepped for missing macros(AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL, AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN,
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL and AM_GNU_GETTEXT) on m4 files available in my system (two
locations /usr/local/share; /home/yagnesh/local/share/aclocal-1.12/)

But they are not available at all on my system. did I miss installing any
dependency?

BTW, I installed dependencies by following command.

$ sudo apt-get build-dep guile-2.0-dev
On Mar 26 2013, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <stefan.itampe@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks.,
--

@ 2013-03-25 15:43     ` Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2013-03-25 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: guile-user

Maybe packages is missing. Look in the docs for the dependencies and check
that the corresponding dev packages is installed that is the suspects
for including these macros.

/Stefan

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:

> Hello Stefan,
>
> Thanks for the reply,
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had the same problem. The problem is that the aclocal directory in
>> /usr/local/share or something doesn't get the m4 macro files that you
>> can find in e.g. /usr/shara/aclocal and it's there the build system
>> looks. Maybe there is a better fix dunno.
>
> I grepped for missing macros(AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL, AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN,
> AC_PROG_LIBTOOL and AM_GNU_GETTEXT) on m4 files available in my system (two
> locations /usr/local/share; /home/yagnesh/local/share/aclocal-1.12/)
>
> But they are not available at all on my system. did I miss installing any
> dependency?
>
> BTW, I installed dependencies by following command.
>
> $ sudo apt-get build-dep guile-2.0-dev
> On Mar 26 2013, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <stefan.itampe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks.,
> --
> ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు.
> YYR

* Re: SOLVED; building guile problem (configure: possibly undefined macro)
@ 2013-03-25 16:26       ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-03-25 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Israelsson Tampe; +Cc: guile-user

Hello Stefan,

On Mar 26 2013, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <stefan.itampe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe packages is missing. Look in the docs for the dependencies and check
> that the corresponding dev packages is installed that is the suspects
> for including these macros.

I actually have all dependencies installed. You were right, The problem was my
autoconf is installed in different location from system wide autoconf. I made
a symlink from system aclocal to local autoconf installation.

For the record. Here is what I did,

cd /home/yagnesh/local/share/   # my local AC is installed in /home/yagnesh/local/
rm -r aclocal
ln -s /usr/share/aclocal/ .

Thanks.,
--

@ 2013-03-25 18:01 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2013-03-25 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: guile-user

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> writes:
> I am trying to build guile from repository on ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I cloned git repo
> and checked out stable branch.
>
> tried to run "autgen.sh"
>
> First, problem automake version.
>
> It seems to build guile I need to have automake 1.12 atleast.
[...]
> I feel that dependency is somewhat harsh given that ubuntu 12.04 is
> the latest LTS.

Sorry about that.  I've forgotten the exact details, but unfortunately
in order to support automake 1.13 at all, we need to require at least
automake 1.12.

An easy fix is to install automake_1.12.6-2_all.deb from Debian
experimental:

  wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/automake1.12/automake_1.12.6-2_all.deb
  sudo dpkg -i automake_1.12.6-2_all.deb

Normally, one must think twice about installing a package from
experimental, but in this case it is safe.  This package works fine
on Ubuntu, and won't require you to upgrade anything else.

> configure.ac:881: warning: macro 'AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library

This is probably because your 'automake' in /usr/local is not looking in
/usr/share/aclocal, but FYI, this macro is defined in
/usr/share/aclocal/gettext.m4 from the 'gettext' package.

> configure.ac:61: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
> configure.ac:80: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
> configure.ac:81: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

These macros are defined in /usr/share/aclocal/ltoptions.m4 and
/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 from the 'libtool' package.

Note that it's also a good idea to run:

  sudo apt-get build-dep guile-2.0

To install all of the build dependencies.

Please let us know if you have any further difficulties.

    Regards,
      Mark

* Re: building guile problem (configure: possibly undefined macro)
@ 2013-03-25 18:06   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2013-03-25 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: guile-user

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:
> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> writes:
>> It seems to build guile I need to have automake 1.12 atleast.
> [...]
>> I feel that dependency is somewhat harsh given that ubuntu 12.04 is
>> the latest LTS.
>
> Sorry about that.  I've forgotten the exact details, but unfortunately
> in order to support automake 1.13 at all, we need to require at least
> automake 1.12.

I should also mention that you don't need 'automake' at all when
building from a release tarball.  This is only an issue when building
from git.

>> configure.ac:881: warning: macro 'AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library
>
> This is probably because your 'automake' in /usr/local is not looking in
> /usr/share/aclocal,

If you install the 'automake' package from Debian experimental and
remove your locally-built version (recommended), then this won't be an
issue.

     Best,
      Mark

* Re: building guile problem (configure: possibly undefined macro)
@ 2013-03-25 20:00   ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-03-25 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user

Hello Ludovic,

Thanks for the reply.

> So we’d just requiring that from people who are likely developers (to be) of
> Guile.  This doesn’t sound unreasonable to me.

Agreed.

> Make sure to install libtool-dev and gettext-dev (or similar packages).
> They should provide the Autoconf macros mentioned above.

I was able install guile as I mentioned in the other post.

Thanks.,
--

@ 2013-03-25 20:10     ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-03-25 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guile-user

Hello Mark,

I was able to install guile. Thank you for the help.

> If you install the 'automake' package from Debian experimental and
> remove your locally-built version (recommended), then this won't be an
> issue.

Thanks for letting me know. I will remove local built.

If I may ask, how are you and other guile developers keep your guile
installation(s) as you develope guile.?

Thanks.,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు.