Walter Lewis writes: >> By the way, I'm rather confused as to why you deem this caching >> useful. A priori, I would expect a simple bytevector->pointer call >> would be just as fast as a to-pointer call. Do you somehow create >> lots of pointers to the contents of the same bytevector so that weak >> references they hold incur a noticeable GC overhead? > > To be honest I don't know enough about C to know the performance of > bytevector->pointer, so I was assuming Chickadee's approach was done > for a reason. Chickadee is pretty heavily optimized (it’s by dthompson who AFAIR once showed millions of interacting points with Guile 3). I would expect that the to-pointer becomes fully inlined, so it’s optimized away. > But if you think it's not a big deal then I'm happy to > simplify things! I think I will remove this caching for now. > > Thanks for your help, and Arne as well for digging into the issue. Glad to help :-) — though I cannot yet help beyond "this looks like a bug to me". Best wishes, Arne PS: I just realized that GNU is turning 40 on Sep. 30 this year … -- Unpolitisch sein heißt politisch sein, ohne es zu merken. draketo.de