unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
From: Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@posteo.net>
To: Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de>
Cc: Guile User <guile-user@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Debug setup in emacs
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 10:18:16 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Zelphir,

Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> writes:

> I usually find myself using (display (simple-format #f "blablabla: ~a\n
> some-binding)) or a custom procedure wrapping it.

You might want to try (simple-format #t "blablabla: ~a\n some-binding)
instead. The #t will send it to the current output port, so it will
do the same as the above. just less to type :).

> At some point it becomes too much and I switch to the REPL and trying
> things in there, if the setup or situation is not too hard to reproduce.

> Also used (pk ...) sometimes, when I am not sure an expression is ever
> evaluated.

Yeah, definetly need to check out the "pk" procedure. Seems quite
useful.

> If this fails me, I sometimes try to think about all the custom
> procedures involved and start writing tests.
>
> If I am too lazy to do that, I find myself thinking about the problem
> real hard and then usually facepalming about my own silly mistakes.

Writing tests + sprinkle (format #t ...) and thinking hard about the
problem is what I've been doing to find all my own silly mistakes.

> If I still don't know what's going on, I might ask on the mailing list
> for help.

Thanks for the input!

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g