tomas@tuxteam.de writes: >> And it would simplify the code: Why does mplayer/mpv need a mode to play >> from a URL? If we could simply play from a server via the filesystem, >> the tools we use could be simplified a lot. > > This is another kettle of fish: it does sound attractive, but I fear > it'll take another couple of years to get our tiny brains there. > > The basic idea sounds good, but the devil is, as they say... That’s true — but here it is more in having some people do the two large complex tasks which currently block adoption (usb + audio). The Hurd already provides a translator to get transparent filesystem access to files from remote hosts. It’s sometimes aggravating to see how close we are — and have been for years. But it needs a few dedicated people to bridge that gap. Best wishes, Arne