unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Patches from ttn's tree to Guile CVS
@ 2004-03-04  1:37 Clinton Ebadi
From: Clinton Ebadi @ 2004-03-04  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Patches from ttn's tree to Guile CVS
@ 2004-03-06 15:57 ` Neil Jerram
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Neil Jerram @ 2004-03-06 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org> writes:

> http://unknownlamer.org/files/code/scheme/patches/guile-cvs will now contain
> all of the patches against Guile CVS HEAD which add features from ttn's tree.
> I am making each change a separate patch (cleaner that way).
>
> Is there any chance of these ever being merged?

Well it's Marius's call, but it seems to me that you need to present
each proposed patch on its own merits, with a description of what it
does.

        Neil

* guile-core in Arch archive [was: Patches from ttn's tree to Guile CVS]
@ 2004-03-06 17:17 ` Andreas Rottmann
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Rottmann @ 2004-03-06 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

First, I'm happy to announce the availibility of an Arch "mirror" of
the Guile CVS. It's located at:

http://people.debian.org/~rotty/arch/rotty@debian.org/guile-2004/

In the category guile-core, there is a cvs-trunk branch, which will
follow CVS HEAD. I might one day start auto-building Debian packages
for experimental from that (and maybe other branches).

Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org> writes:

> http://unknownlamer.org/files/code/scheme/patches/guile-cvs will now
> contain all of the patches against Guile CVS HEAD which add features
> from ttn's tree.  I am making each change a separate patch (cleaner
> that way).

I've merged those into a new --ttn-features branch:

guile-core--ttn-features--0.1
    base-0 .. patch-3

      base-0
         tag of rotty@debian.org--guile-2004/guile-core--cvs-trunk--0--base-0

      patch-1
         Sync with cvs-trunk

      patch-2
         Applied extended -e patch by Clinton Ebadi

      patch-3
         Applied getopt-long patch by Clinton Ebadi

You might consider branching off that and I'll star-merge your changes
back in, which lowers effort for both off us (just make sure you
commit clean changesets, as you've done now).

> Is there any chance of these ever being merged?

Well, into the Archive: your chances are near 100% ;-). As for CVS:
dunno.

Cheers, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty@ICQ      | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at

Any technology not indistinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
   -- Terry Pratchett

* Re: Patches from ttn's tree to Guile CVS
@ 2004-03-07 11:04 ` Marius Vollmer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-03-07 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org> writes:

> Is there any chance of these ever being merged?

Yes, certainly.  Thanks for doing this work!  I'll take a look
'asap'...

* Re: Patches from ttn's tree to Guile CVS
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-03-09 20:35 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-03-09 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org> writes:

> Is there any chance of these ever being merged?

About the extended_e.patch.bz2: Guile CVS has a similar mechanism
(inspired by ttn's extended '-e' option).  I find this way of doing
things cleaner since we now have a single way to directly refer to
variables in their modules.

The 'design discussion' (cough) starts here:

  http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2003-11/msg00050.html

Also see the thread at

  http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2003-10/msg00002.html

Excerpt from NEWS:

    ** The '-e' option now 'read's its argument.

    This is to allow the new '(@ MODULE-NAME VARIABLE-NAME)' construct to
    be used with '-e'.  For example, you can now write a script like

      #! /bin/sh
      exec guile -e '(@ (demo) main)' -s "$0" "$@"
      !#

      (define-module (demo)
        :export (main))

      (define (main args)
        (format #t "Demo: ~a~%" args))

    * Changes to Scheme functions and syntax

    ** New syntax '@' and '@@':

    You can now directly refer to variables exported from a module by
    writing

        (@ MODULE-NAME VARIABLE-NAME)

    For example (@ (ice-9 pretty-print) pretty-print) will directly access
    the pretty-print variable exported from the (ice-9 pretty-print)
    module.  You don't need to 'use' that module first.  You can also use
    '@' with 'set!'.

    The related syntax (@@ MODULE-NAME VARIABLE-NAME) works just like '@',
    but it can also access variables that have not been exported.  It is
    intended only for kluges and temporary fixes and for debugging, not
    for ordinary code.

* Re: Patches from ttn's tree to Guile CVS
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-03-09 20:36 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-03-09 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org> writes:

> Is there any chance of these ever being merged?

About the extended_e.patch.bz2: Guile CVS has a similar mechanism
(inspired by ttn's extended '-e' option).  I find this way of doing
things cleaner since we now have a single way to directly refer to
variables in their modules.

The 'design discussion' (cough) starts here:

  http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2003-11/msg00050.html

Also see the thread at

  http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2003-10/msg00002.html

Excerpt from NEWS:

    ** The '-e' option now 'read's its argument.

    This is to allow the new '(@ MODULE-NAME VARIABLE-NAME)' construct to
    be used with '-e'.  For example, you can now write a script like

      #! /bin/sh
      exec guile -e '(@ (demo) main)' -s "$0" "$@"
      !#

      (define-module (demo)
        :export (main))

      (define (main args)
        (format #t "Demo: ~a~%" args))

    * Changes to Scheme functions and syntax

    ** New syntax '@' and '@@':

    You can now directly refer to variables exported from a module by
    writing

        (@ MODULE-NAME VARIABLE-NAME)

    For example (@ (ice-9 pretty-print) pretty-print) will directly access
    the pretty-print variable exported from the (ice-9 pretty-print)
    module.  You don't need to 'use' that module first.  You can also use
    '@' with 'set!'.

    The related syntax (@@ MODULE-NAME VARIABLE-NAME) works just like '@',
    but it can also access variables that have not been exported.  It is
    intended only for kluges and temporary fixes and for debugging, not
    for ordinary code.

* Re: Patches from ttn's tree to Guile CVS
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-03-09 20:42 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-03-09 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org> writes:

> Is there any chance of these ever being merged?

About ice-9/getopt-long: looks good in principle, but we'd need to
update the documentation as well (in doc/ref/script-getopt.texi).
Could you include this in your patch?  Also, the patch removes the
docstring from getopt-long.  Why?

* Re: guile-core in Arch archive [was: Patches from ttn's tree to Guile CVS]
@ 2004-03-10 22:34   ` Clinton Ebadi
From: Clinton Ebadi @ 2004-03-10 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

* Re: guile-core in Arch archive [was: Patches from ttn's tree to Guile CVS]
@ 2004-03-10 23:32   ` Tom Lord
From: Tom Lord @ 2004-03-10 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

    > From: Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann@gmx.at>

    > > Is there any chance of these ever being merged?

    > Well, into the Archive: your chances are near 100% ;-). As for CVS:
    > dunno.

Y'all are slightly ahead of your time.   I think the future will
feature an increasing number of CVS hosted projects being gatewayed
into arch and thus raising the questions first of bidirectionality
(getting changes merged back the other way) and then conversion
(cause, arch is better after all :-).

No particular conclusion from that other than: go for it.   I hope it
works out well.   And if you need but aren't getting supportive help
from the arch community, shout at me until I wake up.

-t

* Re: Patches from ttn's tree to Guile CVS
@ 2004-03-10 23:46   ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-03-10 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Clinton Ebadi, guile-user, guile-devel

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> Well it's Marius's call, [...]

Hmm, yes, but I'm very open to suggestion by other people!  Also, of
course, the less work I have to do, the easier it is to convince me to
do it...

* Re: guile-core in Arch archive
@ 2004-03-12  9:31     ` Andreas Rottmann
From: Andreas Rottmann @ 2004-03-12  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org> writes:

> On Saturday 06 March 2004 12:17, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>> First, I'm happy to announce the availibility of an Arch "mirror" of
>> the Guile CVS. It's located at:
>>
>> http://people.debian.org/~rotty/arch/rotty@debian.org/guile-2004/
>>
>> In the category guile-core, there is a cvs-trunk branch, which will
>> follow CVS HEAD. I might one day start auto-building Debian packages
>> for experimental from that (and maybe other branches).
>>       patch-2
>>          Applied extended -e patch by Clinton Ebadi
>>
>>       patch-3
>>          Applied getopt-long patch by Clinton Ebadi
>
> You may want to undo the extended -e patch; I had forgotten that
> Guile CVS now reads the argument to -e and the (@ (module)
> procedure) syntax provides an easy enough way to do things. Maybe
> ttn's extended syntax could be supported with another option (-m?)
> or somehow supported by -e for compatibility with his 1.4.1.x tree
> (I don't really see how that would work, since (foo bar) could be a
> procedure call that returns the entry procedure).

I think I'll open an --integration branch, into which I'll cherry-pick
the features that are somewhat approved by the Guile developers. So
far, from what I've heard from Marius, getopt-long would be a good
candidate for that.

Also, I think there should be somewhat detailed ChangeLog entries for
the changes, so judging the changes is easier.

>> You might consider branching off that and I'll star-merge your changes
>> back in, which lowers effort for both off us (just make sure you
>> commit clean changesets, as you've done now).
>
> Never a better time than the present to learn how to use arch.

If you have any questions wrt. to using Arch/the archive, don't
hesitate to ask me (not that I'm an Arch guru yet, but at least I got
some experience).

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty@ICQ      | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at

Say NO to Software Patents! -- http://petition.eurolinux.org/

* Re: Patches from ttn's tree to Guile CVS
@ 2004-03-14 10:44     ` Andreas Rottmann
From: Andreas Rottmann @ 2004-03-14 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.de> writes:

> Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:
>
>> Well it's Marius's call, [...]
>
> Hmm, yes, but I'm very open to suggestion by other people!  Also, of
> course, the less work I have to do, the easier it is to convince me to
> do it...

I think you deemed the getopt-long patch "lookinging good". I can take
all such patches (of a "somewhat approved status), which is only the
getopt-long one ATM) and add them to a new integration (Arch) branch,
along with adding apropriate ChangeLog entries. From this branch I
then can provide a patch against CVS at any time. I don't know if this
would be of any help though...

For review, there is also ViewCVS support on my archives at [0]. The
server is not always-on, but is almost always available 12:00-24:00
MET.

[0] http://rotty-ipv4.yi.org/cgi-bin/viewarch.cgi

Andy
--

@ 2004-03-21  2:11       ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-03-21  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Andreas Rottmann <a.rottmann@gmx.at> writes:

> I think you deemed the getopt-long patch "lookinging good". I can take
> all such patches (of a "somewhat approved status), which is only the
> getopt-long one ATM) and add them to a new integration (Arch) branch,
> along with adding apropriate ChangeLog entries. From this branch I
> then can provide a patch against CVS at any time. I don't know if this
> would be of any help though...

Thanks for the offer!  Right now, I can indeed not really see whether
this will help, but I will learn about arch and subversion...