unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Guile web page docs
@ 2009-10-21 20:47 Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-10-21 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile Development, Guile User List

I noticed that the docs on the Guile web pages are a bit out of date.
The 1.8 ones are behind those in 1.8.7 (the latest release).  I'm not
sure about the 1.6 ones, but will check.  And there aren't any docs for
1.9/2.0 at all - which I think would be useful.

Would anyone object if we added a 1.9/2.0 set, and updated all these to
correspond to the latest available (i.e. from CVS/Git) in each release
series?

Thanks,
        Neil

* Re: Guile web page docs
@ 2009-10-21 21:25 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-10-21 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel; +Cc: guile-user

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> I noticed that the docs on the Guile web pages are a bit out of date.
> The 1.8 ones are behind those in 1.8.7 (the latest release).

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/index.html appears to
correspond to 1.8.7.

(BTW, Gnulib has a new script to automate updates to
www.gnu.org/software/PROJECT/manual.)

> Would anyone object if we added a 1.9/2.0 set, and updated all these to
> correspond to the latest available (i.e. from CVS/Git) in each release
> series?

I hadn't done it so far, mostly because 1.9 is alpha, and I think
gnu.org/software/guile/manual should point to the current stable series.
That said, perhaps we could put them in a sub-directory.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ludo'.

* Re: Guile web page docs
@ 2009-10-21 21:54   ` Roberto Rosetti
From: Roberto Rosetti @ 2009-10-21 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user ML

Hi all,
Maybe I'm a little OT, but recently I've made some experiments with the
last build of guile-gnome-platform (2.16.1, right?). I was surprised
about the continuosly warnings about deprecated functions of the libs.
I've started with the last reference pages and the little examples from
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gnome/docs/
Everything seems to be a bit outdated.
Any news?

Rob

BTW, I'm very interested in the alpha docs. As a newbie user, an
extended draft (sort of) could be enough to start some experiment with
v1.9.x

--

--------------------------------------
Roberto Rosetti

OpenPGP Public key: 30575161

* Re: Guile web page docs
@ 2009-10-23 22:25   ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-10-23 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:
>
>> I noticed that the docs on the Guile web pages are a bit out of date.
>> The 1.8 ones are behind those in 1.8.7 (the latest release).
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/index.html appears to
> correspond to 1.8.7.

Yes, but amusingly this copy of the manual is only linked from the
"support for many SRFIs" link on
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html, and from inside Daniel's
tutorial.

If you follow the more prominent links from
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/, you get to
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-1.8/guile-ref/index.html,
which is still at version 1.8.1.

So, anyway, I think we agree that this needs sorting out!

> (BTW, Gnulib has a new script to automate updates to
> www.gnu.org/software/PROJECT/manual.)

Right; I assume you mean gendocs.sh.

>> Would anyone object if we added a 1.9/2.0 set, and updated all these to
>> correspond to the latest available (i.e. from CVS/Git) in each release
>> series?
>
> I hadn't done it so far, mostly because 1.9 is alpha, and I think
> gnu.org/software/guile/manual should point to the current stable series.
> That said, perhaps we could put them in a sub-directory.

Yes, that's what I had in mind, linked from
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs.html.

Do you have strong views on whether we should use current Git or the
latest pre-release?  I don't think it matters much, and current Git is
marginally easier.

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: Guile web page docs
@ 2009-10-23 22:29     ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-10-23 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rob.rosetti; +Cc: guile-user ML

Roberto Rosetti <rob.rosetti@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
> Maybe I'm a little OT, but recently I've made some experiments with the
> last build of guile-gnome-platform (2.16.1, right?). I was surprised
> about the continuosly warnings about deprecated functions of the libs.
> I've started with the last reference pages and the little examples from
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gnome/docs/
> Everything seems to be a bit outdated.
> Any news?

I'm afraid I can't help much, but you might have more luck with 1.8.7
than with a 1.9.x release.  Unfortunately the underlying problem here is
that Andy is now busy enhancing the core of guile...

Good luck if you do work on it a bit yourself!

> BTW, I'm very interested in the alpha docs. As a newbie user, an
> extended draft (sort of) could be enough to start some experiment with
> v1.9.x

Yes, I'm going to put those up on the website.  But you know, I presume,
that the docs are also included in the pre-releases?

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: Guile web page docs
@ 2009-10-23 22:36       ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-10-23 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rob.rosetti; +Cc: guile-user ML

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> but you might have more luck with 1.8.7
> than with a 1.9.x release.

Just to be clear: I mean because 1.8.x was what was current when Andy
was working on guile-gnome; not because there's anything badly wrong
with 1.9.x!

      Neil

* Re: Guile web page docs
@ 2009-10-24  6:37       ` Roberto Rosetti
From: Roberto Rosetti @ 2009-10-24  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Jerram; +Cc: guile-user ML

Thanks Neil,

Concerning your question: it was my mistake.
I've not built the pre-release yet... Didn't know about the included
docs. My fault..
At the moment I'm working on a little project, Geany, trying to
integrate Guile 1.8.x with a custom lexer and a plugin API wrap.
Still fighting against Scintilla API.
Anyway, if I'll make some patch for guile-gnome platform I'll be happy
to propose it here. As usual, it's a matter of time.

Regards,
Rob

--

--------------------------------------

@ 2009-10-24  9:31         ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-10-24  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rob.rosetti; +Cc: guile-user ML

Roberto Rosetti <rob.rosetti@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Neil,
>
> Concerning your question: it was my mistake.
> I've not built the pre-release yet... Didn't know about the included
> docs. My fault..

No prob.

> At the moment I'm working on a little project, Geany, trying to
> integrate Guile 1.8.x with a custom lexer and a plugin API wrap.

Geany looks nice, and not like a `little' project!

It could also be an interesting place for trying to run
Guile-interpreted Elisp code.  I wonder if there are Elisp libraries
that would complement Geany's native features?

> Still fighting against Scintilla API.
> Anyway, if I'll make some patch for guile-gnome platform I'll be happy
> to propose it here. As usual, it's a matter of time.

As usual, indeed!

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: Guile web page docs
@ 2009-10-25 18:56     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-10-25 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Jerram; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Hi,

And from http://gnu.org/manual/ .

> If you follow the more prominent links from
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/, you get to
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-1.8/guile-ref/index.html,
> which is still at version 1.8.1.
>
> So, anyway, I think we agree that this needs sorting out!

Indeed.  I think I’ve always been updating the one at guile/manual,
since it’s the usual way to place GNU manuals, but I must have forgotten
to check the links under guile/.  I’d be in favor or removing ‘docs-1.8’
and keeping just ‘manual’.  What do you think?

>> (BTW, Gnulib has a new script to automate updates to
>> www.gnu.org/software/PROJECT/manual.)
>
> Right; I assume you mean gendocs.sh.

I was thinking about the ‘gnu-web-doc-update’ module.

>> I hadn't done it so far, mostly because 1.9 is alpha, and I think
>> gnu.org/software/guile/manual should point to the current stable series.
>> That said, perhaps we could put them in a sub-directory.
>
> Yes, that's what I had in mind, linked from
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs.html.

OK.

> Do you have strong views on whether we should use current Git or the
> latest pre-release?  I don't think it matters much, and current Git is
> marginally easier.

Either way is fine with me.

Thank you!

Ludo’.

* Re: Guile web page docs
@ 2009-10-26  7:55       ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-10-26  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi,
>
> Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:
>
>> Yes, but amusingly this copy of the manual is only linked from the
>> "support for many SRFIs" link on
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html, and from inside Daniel's
>> tutorial.
>
> And from http://gnu.org/manual/ .

Ah, thanks.

> Indeed.  I think I’ve always been updating the one at guile/manual,
> since it’s the usual way to place GNU manuals, but I must have forgotten
> to check the links under guile/.  I’d be in favor or removing ‘docs-1.8’
> and keeping just ‘manual’.  What do you think?

Agreed, and I've done that now.

>>> (BTW, Gnulib has a new script to automate updates to
>>> www.gnu.org/software/PROJECT/manual.)
>>
>> Right; I assume you mean gendocs.sh.
>
> I was thinking about the ‘gnu-web-doc-update’ module.

I'll take a look, thanks.

>> Do you have strong views on whether we should use current Git or the
>> latest pre-release?  I don't think it matters much, and current Git is
>> marginally easier.
>
> Either way is fine with me.

Cool, I'll sort out a 1.9/2.0 set of docs later.

      Neil

* Re: Guile web page docs
@ 2009-10-27 22:46         ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-10-27 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user, guile-devel

Neil Jerram <neil@ossau.uklinux.net> writes:

> Cool, I'll sort out a 1.9/2.0 set of docs later.

This is up now.

     Neil