unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Re: No Guile on Windows?
@ 2020-07-24 14:00     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-07-24 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user; +Cc: help-guix

Hi!

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> skribis:

> <rant>
> Sadly, Guile seems to care only about one OS: GNU/Linux, and more or

Guile is software so it’s doesn’t care one way or the other ;-), but
it’s true that the maintainers and probably most contributors are
primarily concerned with GNU/Linux.

However, my understanding is that Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has
the potential to make all of us happy.  For example, here’s info from
someone who got Guix to run on Windows/WSL2:

  https://gist.github.com/giuliano108/49ec5bd0a9339db98535bc793ceb5ab4

Running Guile alone should be easier.  Notably, I would expect a bundle
created with ‘guix pack guile’ to Just Work on Windows.

Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: No Guile on Windows?
@ 2020-07-24 14:20       ` Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2020-07-24 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guile User, Guix Help

I use guile all the time at my windows 10 machine at work (WSL) to handle
xml files. Used apt to get it.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> skribis:
>
> > <rant>
> > Sadly, Guile seems to care only about one OS: GNU/Linux, and more or
>
> Guile is software so it’s doesn’t care one way or the other ;-), but
> it’s true that the maintainers and probably most contributors are
> primarily concerned with GNU/Linux.
>
> However, my understanding is that Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has
> the potential to make all of us happy.  For example, here’s info from
> someone who got Guix to run on Windows/WSL2:
>
>   https://gist.github.com/giuliano108/49ec5bd0a9339db98535bc793ceb5ab4
>
> Running Guile alone should be easier.  Notably, I would expect a bundle
> created with ‘guix pack guile’ to Just Work on Windows.
>
> Does anyone have experience with that?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

* Re: No Guile on Windows?
@ 2020-07-24 17:46         ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2020-07-24 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Israelsson Tampe; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, Guix Help, guile-user

Stefan Israelsson Tampe <stefan.itampe@gmail.com> writes:

> I use guile all the time at my windows 10 machine at work (WSL) to handle
> xml files. Used apt to get it.

It’s great that that’s possible. If it requires people to first activate
WSL (so they cannot just start an application they get from me but have
to configure stuff first), I lose lots of users who would otherwise run
my application.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: No Guile on Windows?
@ 2020-07-24 17:47       ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-07-24 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> skribis:
>> <rant> Sadly, Guile seems to care only about one OS: GNU/Linux

> my understanding is that Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has the potential to make all of us happy.

Itʼs the most disappointing thing to hear from a Guile maintainer.

> For example, here’s info from someone who got Guix to run on Windows/WSL2:

Contrary to WSL1, which was rather a misnomer for an alternative ABI-compatible implementation of Linux® on top of Windowsʼ kernel, WSL2 fully justifies its name: itʼs subsystem _for_ running Linux in it.

In other words, what youʼve just said is: Guile does not need to support Windows, because you can always run GNU/Linux in a virtual machine.

Iʼm afraid, such an attitude, if Guile is staking claim for being something more than a DSL for defining distro packages, is a decade premature at best.

> Running Guile alone should be easier.  Notably, I would expect a bundle created with ‘guix pack guile’ to Just Work on Windows.
>
> Does anyone have experience with that?

I do not, but do not see any reason why it should not.  If Guix pack would fail to run on Ubuntu, because it is running on emulated hardware, it would mean that Guix is really broken.  And we know, that itʼs not.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: No Guile on Windows?
@ 2020-07-24 18:41       ` Jan Wielkiewicz
From: Jan Wielkiewicz @ 2020-07-24 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

Hello,

Dnia 2020-07-24, o godz. 16:00:56
Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> napisał(a):

> However, my understanding is that Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
> has the potential to make all of us happy.

This is fine as far as we're talking about proprietary Windows, but
this isn't good for software freedom generally - there's ReactOS
(https://reactos.org/) - a free Windows clone that is about to reach
beta stage. It is unlikely they're going to implement WSL there and
therefore Guile will be not usable on this platform. This could
potentially stop Guile users on Windows from switching to ReactOS.
If Guile were running natively on Windows, it would only benefit free
software - more Guile users, more people being interested in Guix and
more people switching to free alternatives.

If no current Guile maintainer is interested in porting it to Windows,
we could at least let people know we're looking for someone who does.
It could be a GSoC proposal, Outreachy something, etc.

Jan Wielkiewicz

* Re: No Guile on Windows?
@ 2020-07-25 21:38       ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-07-25 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: help-guix, guile-user

David Pirotte <david@altosw.be> wrote:
> msys2
> has guile-2.2.7-1

> well maintained
> very friendly on irc

Appended with fact that MSYS2 is a fork of Cygwin, which has 3.0.4, these looks like an invitation to go to IRC and inquire about issues that made them stick with the legacy branch...

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
@ 2020-08-13 13:02 Pikachu Hy via General Guile related discussions
From: Pikachu Hy via General Guile related discussions @ 2020-08-13 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

hi,
I build a msvc-version guile on Windows 10.

https://github.com/PikachuHy/guile-1.6.7/releases/tag/v20200813

Best wishes,
PikachuHy

* Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
@ 2020-08-13 17:36 ` Linus Björnstam
From: Linus Björnstam @ 2020-08-13 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pikachu Hy, guile-user

TIL that guile 1.6 had 2.5% pascal code!

--
  Linus Björnstam

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020, at 15:02, Pikachu Hy via General Guile related discussions wrote:
> hi,
> I build a msvc-version guile on Windows 10.
>
> https://github.com/PikachuHy/guile-1.6.7/releases/tag/v20200813
>
> Best wishes,
> PikachuHy

* Re: No Guile on Windows?
@ 2020-08-29  9:59   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-08-29  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Linus Björnstam <linus.internet@fastmail.se> skribis:

> TIL that guile 1.6 had 2.5% pascal code!

I don’t think so.  :-)  Probably a mistake of the tool that tries to
identify languages.  For
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/snapshot/guile-release_1-6-0.tar.gz>,
sloccount says:

Totals grouped by language (dominant language first):
ansic:        61318 (75.07%)
lisp:         15803 (19.35%)
sh:            2796 (3.42%)
asm:           1514 (1.85%)