unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Trouble creating SRFI-9 Record in C
@ 2021-09-11  2:27 paul
From: paul @ 2021-09-11  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Good day guile-users,

I am having a struggle with SRFI-9 records.  They look very
convenient, so i'd like to use them in my Guile scripts.  However,
i'm not sure how to correctly construct them from C-land.  I have
something like the following:

```
(define-record-type <foo>
  (make-foo a b)
  foo?
  (a foo-a)
  (b foo-b))
```

In Guile land, that works great.  Now, i want to create a foo in C
and pass it to a function in the Guile script.  I do something
like the following:

```
scm_c_primitive_load("foo.scm");
scm_call_5(scm_variable_ref(scm_c_lookup("make-foo")),
           scm_from_utf8_string("blah"),
           scm_from_int32(Int32(42)))
```

However, this results in an error:

guile: uncaught exception:
Wrong type to apply: #<syntax-transformer make-foo>

I've tried with and without (define-module foo) at the top of the
file, that doesn't seem to make a difference.  I've been able to
work around the issue by defining a wrapper (define (foo-prime a
b) (make-foo a b)) and using that in C as shown above, but that
feels ugly.  I'm probably missing something obvious, but trawling
the mailing list didn't turn up anything i could understand.

Does anyone see what i'm doing wrong, or can i simply not use
SRFI-9 records in this way?

Thanks, 🙌
p.

* Re: Trouble creating SRFI-9 Record in C
@ 2021-09-11  3:59 ` Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions
From: Olivier Dion via General Guile related discussions @ 2021-09-11  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul, guile-user

On Sat, 11 Sep 2021, paul <paul@inktvis.org> wrote:

> In Guile land, that works great.  Now, i want to create a foo in C
> and pass it to a function in the Guile script.  I do something
> like the following:
>
> ```
> scm_c_primitive_load("foo.scm");
> scm_call_5(scm_variable_ref(scm_c_lookup("make-foo")),
>            scm_from_utf8_string("blah"),
>            scm_from_int32(Int32(42)))
> ```
>
> However, this results in an error:
>
> guile: uncaught exception:
> Wrong type to apply: #<syntax-transformer make-foo>

Seems like `make-foo` is a syntax-transformer and not a procedure.  You
can not call a syntax-transformer.  I don't think you can do much with a
syntax-transformer in C.

> I've tried with and without (define-module foo) at the top of the
> file, that doesn't seem to make a difference.  I've been able to
> work around the issue by defining a wrapper (define (foo-prime a
> b) (make-foo a b)) and using that in C as shown above, but that
> feels ugly.  I'm probably missing something obvious, but trawling
> the mailing list didn't turn up anything i could understand.

By making a wrapper, you're effectively creating a procedure that can
use the `make-foo` syntax because it's in Scheme and it's solved a
expansion time.

--
Olivier Dion
Polymtl

* Re: Trouble creating SRFI-9 Record in C
@ 2021-09-11 13:30 ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2021-09-11 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

maybe add

(define (make-foo-x a b) (make-foo a b))

then call make-foo-x (or reverse names)

@ 2021-09-11 23:42   ` paul
From: paul @ 2021-09-11 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Wette; +Cc: guile-user

Hey Matt,

Yeah that was exactly my workaround 🙂 I was wondering whether i could use the syntax transformer more "directly" from C, or something like that.

Thanks,
paul