unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Auto-detect Guile in a text editor
@ 2018-10-23 11:07 HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2018-10-23 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello Schemers

When I open a Scheme file (Neo)vim the file type is set to "scheme", but I
would like to be able to detect that it is not just Scheme, but Guile Scheme.
So far I have set up the editor to scan the first line for a shebang and if
the word "guile" appears to set the file type to "scheme.guile":

	if getline(1) =~? '\v^#!.*[Gg]uile'
		let &filetype .= '.guile'
	endif

If you are not familiar with Vim, the important part is the regex
'^#!.*[Gg]uile'. This works OK, but is there a better way than adding a
shebang or some other manual hing to the head of every script? How does Emacs
do it?

And while I'm at that topic, what is the proper way of writing a shebang when
I don't know where Guile is installed to? For example, the Guile manual
frequently uses

    #!/usr/local/bin/guile

but what if I have Guile installed via Guix and it is somewhere in my Guix
store? A common solution is to abuse env:

	#!/usr/bin/env guile

But now I cannot pass arguments (like '-s') to Guile, because everything
following the first space will be treated as one argument to 'env'. Is there a
solution or am I just overthinking things?

* Re: Auto-detect Guile in a text editor
@ 2018-10-23 11:36 ` Tkprom
From: Tkprom @ 2018-10-23 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HiPhish; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

On Tuesday, 23 October 2018 13:07, HiPhish <hiphish@posteo.de> wrote:

> Hello Schemers
>
> When I open a Scheme file (Neo)vim the file type is set to "scheme", but I
> would like to be able to detect that it is not just Scheme, but Guile Scheme.
> So far I have set up the editor to scan the first line for a shebang and if
> the word "guile" appears to set the file type to "scheme.guile":
>
> if getline(1) =~? '\v^#!.[Gg]uile'
> let &filetype .= '.guile'
> endif
> If you are not familiar with Vim, the important part is the regex
> '^#!.[Gg]uile'. This works OK, but is there a better way than adding ashebang or some other manual hing to the head of every script? How does Emacs
> do it?
>
> And while I'm at that topic, what is the proper way of writing a shebang when
> I don't know where Guile is installed to? For example, the Guile manual
> frequently uses
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/guile
>
> but what if I have Guile installed via Guix and it is somewhere in my Guix
> store? A common solution is to abuse env:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env guile
>
> But now I cannot pass arguments (like '-s') to Guile, because everything
> following the first space will be treated as one argument to 'env'. Is there a
> solution or am I just overthinking things?

Hi,

Maybe you could look into how Geiser does it in Emacs. As far as I know, Geiser is a de-facto Guile IDE for Emacs (http://www.nongnu.org/geiser/).

Your approach will only work for the she-banged scripts. For anything else, I suppose there is going to be some guess-work involved. For example, often used Guile constructs are "define-module", #:use-module, use-modules ... they all usually appear at the top. Ditto "ice-9" . Scan top 20-50 lines for those keywords and there is a high probability the Scheme file is a Guile file if it contains any of those.

About your second question: yes, that sucks! This is why i stopped using executable guile scripts and am now just doing:

$ guile my-program.scm options to the program

Perhaps someone else has a better solution.

Hope this helps,

Tk

* Re: Auto-detect Guile in a text editor
@ 2018-10-23 12:33   ` Tk
From: Tk @ 2018-10-23 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tkprom; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org, HiPhish

> > When I open a Scheme file (Neo)vim the file type is set to "scheme", but I
> > would like to be able to detect that it is not just Scheme, but Guile Scheme.
> > So far I have set up the editor to scan the first line for a shebang and if
> > the word "guile" appears to set the file type to "scheme.guile":
> > if getline(1) =~? '\v^#!.[Gg]uile'
> > let &filetype .= '.guile'
> > endif
> > If you are not familiar with Vim, the important part is the regex
> > '^#!.[Gg]uile'. This works OK, but is there a better way than adding ashebang or some other manual hing to the head of every script? How does Emacs
> > do it?
> > And while I'm at that topic, what is the proper way of writing a shebang when
> > I don't know where Guile is installed to? For example, the Guile manual
> > frequently uses
> > #!/usr/local/bin/guile
> > but what if I have Guile installed via Guix and it is somewhere in my Guix
> > store? A common solution is to abuse env:
> > #!/usr/bin/env guile
> > But now I cannot pass arguments (like '-s') to Guile, because everything
> > following the first space will be treated as one argument to 'env'. Is there a
> > solution or am I just overthinking things?
>
> Hi,
>
> Maybe you could look into how Geiser does it in Emacs. As far as I know, Geiser is a de-facto Guile IDE for Emacs (http://www.nongnu.org/geiser/).
>
> Your approach will only work for the she-banged scripts. For anything else, I suppose there is going to be some guess-work involved. For example, often used Guile constructs are "define-module", #:use-module, use-modules ... they all usually appear at the top. Ditto "ice-9" . Scan top 20-50 lines for those keywords and there is a high probability the Scheme file is a Guile file if it contains any of those.
>
> About your second question: yes, that sucks! This is why i stopped using executable guile scripts and am now just doing:
>
> $ guile my-program.scm options to the program
>
> Perhaps someone else has a better solution.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Tk

One more thing: since the current attempts at standardisation of Scheme language are pushing for uniformity among different implementations (I know, I know, it may never happen), perhaps scanning for dialect-specific usage is not the nicest approach.

I prefer the approach where leaving a comment marker somewhere would activate the required functionality. For example, in Emacs, you could write something like,

 ; -*- mode: Scheme; eval: (whatever-minor-guile-mode-is-used 1); -*- .

* Re: Auto-detect Guile in a text editor
@ 2018-10-23 12:58 ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2018-10-23 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On 10/23/18 4:07 AM, HiPhish wrote:

> And while I'm at that topic, what is the proper way of writing a shebang when
> I don't know where Guile is installed to? For example, the Guile manual
> frequently uses
>
>      #!/usr/local/bin/guile
>
> but what if I have Guile installed via Guix and it is somewhere in my Guix
> store? A common solution is to abuse env:
>
> 	#!/usr/bin/env guile
>
> But now I cannot pass arguments (like '-s') to Guile, because everything
> following the first space will be treated as one argument to 'env'. Is there a
> solution or am I just overthinking things?

Sometime I need to do shell processing, so I use

   #!/bin/sh

   exec guile $0 "$@"

   !#
   (define foo 1)

* Re: Auto-detect Guile in a text editor
@ 2018-11-13 14:45 ` Barry Fishman
From: Barry Fishman @ 2018-11-13 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On 2018-10-23 13:07:33 +02, HiPhish wrote:
> Hello Schemers
>
> When I open a Scheme file (Neo)vim the file type is set to "scheme", but I
> would like to be able to detect that it is not just Scheme, but Guile Scheme.
> So far I have set up the editor to scan the first line for a shebang and if
> the word "guile" appears to set the file type to "scheme.guile":
>
> 	if getline(1) =~? '\v^#!.*[Gg]uile'
> 		let &filetype .= '.guile'
> 	endif
>
> If you are not familiar with Vim, the important part is the regex
> '^#!.*[Gg]uile'. This works OK, but is there a better way than adding a
> shebang or some other manual hing to the head of every script? How does Emacs
> do it?

Vim like Emacs recognizes modelines in the file.  I start guile scripts
with:

#! /bin/sh
## -*- mode: scheme; coding: utf-8 -*-
## Time-stamp: <2018-09-14 08:43:42 barry>
exec ${GUILE:-guile} -e main -s $0 ${1+"$@"}
!#

--
Barry Fishman