unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Wanna hacking into Guile
@ 2009-12-19  3:11 Yi DAI
From: Yi DAI @ 2009-12-19  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

I've been using Guile for a while. And now I wanna learn things under the
hook and wish someday I could contribute some code to the base also. I
haven't finished reading the manual yet. I think it would be a good
combination to read the manual and at the same time read some implementation
code of Guile also. I've looked through the branch at Git. But I did not get
it. I mean I feel a little bit messed and don't know where to start. So
anyone can give some hint, for example, the architecture of the source tree,
among these source files, which one should I take to read first, etc. If
some Guile developer could talk a little about his/her hacking experience,
it would be hight appreciated. Thanks a lot.

best regards,

--
DAY

* Re: Wanna hacking into Guile
@ 2009-12-20 11:02 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2009-12-20 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yi DAI; +Cc: guile-user

Yi DAI <plm.day@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,

Hi there!

> I've been using Guile for a while. And now I wanna learn things under the hook
> and wish someday I could contribute some code to the base also. I haven't
> finished reading the manual yet. I think it would be a good combination to read
> the manual and at the same time read some implementation code of Guile
> also.

Yes, that sounds good.

> I've looked through the branch at Git. But I did not get it. I mean I feel a
> little bit messed and don't know where to start. So anyone can give some hint,
> for example, the architecture of the source tree, among these source files,
> which one should I take to read first, etc.

The "libguile" directory contains the C code for the Guile library.
I'm sure there are many ways of trying to get to grips with it; one way
would be to start at main(), which is in libguile/guile.c, and follow
calls through from there.  Tags are essential for this kind of thing, so
do `make tags' to create TAGS files in your copy of the tree.

The other most important directory is "module", which contains all of
the core Scheme code - for things like compilation, providing a REPL,
the help system, SRFIs, and lots more.  The starting point here is
module/ice-9/boot-9.scm, a Scheme file that gets loaded very early on by
the C library, as part of the Guile initialisation process.

> If some Guile developer could talk
> a little about his/her hacking experience, it would be hight
> appreciated.

I may say more on this later, and maybe some of the other developers
will too.  Hopefully the above is useful to get you going!

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: Wanna hacking into Guile
@ 2009-12-21  5:12   ` Yi DAI