unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Guile, Emacs, and smartphones
@ 2011-06-17 20:35 Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2011-06-17 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Hi-

So, it is time for me to buy a new phone.

Has anyone run Emacs or Guile on their phone?

(Somehow I doubt there is a phone keyboard that'll let me type
<Shift>+<Alt>).

-Mike Gran

* Re: Guile, Emacs, and smartphones
@ 2011-06-18  9:50 ` Cedric Cellier
From: Cedric Cellier @ 2011-06-18  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

I run guile on my N900, but I suggest you wait a little for there are rumors of a new maemo phone from nokia this summer.

* Re: Guile, Emacs, and smartphones
@ 2011-06-18 16:13 ` Joel James Adamson
From: Joel James Adamson @ 2011-06-18 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: Guile User

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi-
>
> So, it is time for me to buy a new phone.
>
> Has anyone run Emacs or Guile on their phone?
>
> (Somehow I doubt there is a phone keyboard that'll let me type
> <Shift>+<Alt>).

I have not tried any; but the question I ask is "which Emacs features do
you want?"  One of my main uses of Emacs is Org Mode[1], which has
Android and iPhone extensions.

And you may not be able to use key chords, but there are plenty of major
modes that use single keys (like dired).

Joel

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.orgmode.org

--
Joel J. Adamson
Servedio Lab -- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 229 bytes --]

* Re: Guile, Emacs, and smartphones
@ 2011-06-22 21:45 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2011-06-22 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: Guile User

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi-
>
> So, it is time for me to buy a new phone.
>
> Has anyone run Emacs or Guile on their phone?

I've run Emacs and Guile 1.8 on my Freerunner.  No success with Guile
2.0 yet.  (Although I've hardly devoted much time yet to that; I hope to
do so soonish.)

> (Somehow I doubt there is a phone keyboard that'll let me type
> <Shift>+<Alt>).

The Freerunner SHR terminal (on-screen) keyboard does; also
matchbox-keyboard.  It isn't exactly easy, though, given how small the
keys are, and close to the bevel that surrounds the screen.

Regards,
        Neil