unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Are char* and signed char* compatible (SCM_BYTEVECTOR_CONTENTS)?
@ 2021-02-26  9:33 Vivien Kraus via General Guile related discussions
From: Vivien Kraus via General Guile related discussions @ 2021-02-26  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello,

I’m trying to use a bytevector from C.

1. According to an example in the manual, SCM_BYTEVECTOR_CONTENTS can
be assigned to a char*.

2. Also from the manual, it is a signed char*.

3. I've found this question online saying they are not compatible (
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12769500/why-is-char-not-compatible-with-signed-char-or-unsigned-char
).

As I understand it, at least one of the above 3 affirmations is
incorrect. Could someone clarify this to me?

* Re: Are char* and signed char* compatible (SCM_BYTEVECTOR_CONTENTS)?
@ 2021-02-26 11:15 ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2021-02-26 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vivien Kraus, guile-user

On Fri, 2021-02-26 at 10:33 +0100, Vivien Kraus via General Guile
related discussions wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’m trying to use a bytevector from C.
>
> 1. According to an example in the manual, SCM_BYTEVECTOR_CONTENTS can
> be assigned to a char*.
>
> 2. Also from the manual, it is a signed char*.
>
> 3. I've found this question online saying they are not compatible (
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12769500/why-is-char-not-compatible-with-signed-char-or-unsigned-char
> ).
>
> As I understand it, at least one of the above 3 affirmations is
> incorrect. Could someone clarify this to me?

Depending on your compiler and OS, char is either signed char (-128 to
127) or unsigned char (0 to 255).  It is probably signed char.

You are free to cast the contents of a bytevector as signed char *,
unsigned char *, or char * (which is probably signed char).  It depends
on what you want.  When you use a  bytevector from within Guile, it
will appear as unsigned 8=bit integers. But from within guile you could
use bytevector-s8-ref if you wanted to pull a byte out as a signed 8-
bit integer.

-Mike