unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* On the topic of asyncs and utility as an extension language
@ 2007-12-05 18:51 dskr
From: dskr @ 2007-12-05 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

In an earlier message today, I mentioned my use of guile as an
extension language. There is one new barrier to use of guile as an
extension language that exists in guile 1.8 that did not exist in
guile 1.6.

The new async mechanism works via a pipe. The natural thing,
remanufacturing the pipe, does not happen on
a call to primitive-fork. I'm of the view that an angel gets its wings
each time I call fork and so my codes do this with reckless abandon.

Why fork? Lots of reasons... I use it so that I can mmap enormous
files read-write with MAP_PRIVATE and fork new processes that mark up
their now private copy. It is tremendously efficient for many
applications.

I understand that the work to patch up the pipes may not be worthwhile
in applications that are about to call exec, but this could be
remedied easily by providing the expected primitive-vfork for this
purpose.

Cheers,
	Dan Ridge

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-12-05 18:51 UTC | newest]