unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Absolute path of source file
       [not found] <877cb21j0d.fsf@housseini.me>
@ 2024-09-23 15:35 ` reza
From: reza @ 2024-09-23 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user@gnu.org

Hi List

How can I get the absolute path to a source file from itself. In bash
this would look like something along the lines

    realpath $(dirname $0)

but I could not figure out how to achieve this in guile.

Thanks for any hints!
Cheers,
Reza

* Re: Absolute path of source file
@ 2024-09-23 15:39   ` Retropikzel
       [not found]     ` <871q1a1ig0.fsf@housseini.me>
From: Retropikzel @ 2024-09-23 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reza; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

On Mon, 23 Sep 2024 15:35:03 +0000
reza <reza@housseini.me> wrote:

> Hi List
>
> How can I get the absolute path to a source file from itself. In bash
> this would look like something along the lines
>
>     realpath $(dirname $0)
>
> but I could not figure out how to achieve this in guile.
>
> Thanks for any hints!
> Cheers,
> Reza

Hi! Might example from here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Load-Paths-1

work?

    (dirname (current-filename))

@ 2024-09-23 15:47       ` reza
From: reza @ 2024-09-23 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: retropikzel@iki.fi; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

Hi Retropikzel

Perfect, works out of the box!
I missed this part in the manual, just saw that it is in chapter "Source
Properties" where I would never have guessed to look at.
Thanks very much,
Reza

@ 2024-09-24 17:17         ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2024-09-24 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reza; +Cc: Guile User

Hello reza!

On 23.09.24 17:47, reza wrote:
> Hi Retropikzel
>
> Perfect, works out of the box!
> I missed this part in the manual, just saw that it is in chapter "Source
> Properties" where I would never have guessed to look at.
> Thanks very much,
> Reza
>
>> On Mon, 23 Sep 2024 15:35:03 +0000
>> reza<reza@housseini.me>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi List
>>>
>>> How can I get the absolute path to a source file from itself. In bash
>>> this would look like something along the lines
>>>
>>>      realpath $(dirname $0)
>>>
>>> but I could not figure out how to achieve this in guile.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any hints!
>>> Cheers,
>>> Reza
>>>
>> Hi! Might example from here:
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Load-Paths-1
>>
>> work?
>>
>>      (dirname (current-filename))

I just want to add, that in most cases you can probably make things work using
the `guile -L` argument and naming the files of guile modules according to the
module defined in them. It has been a long time, since I had to reach for
something like `(dirname (current-filename))`. Of course there might be cases,
where you want to have that directory as a string in your code or so. I am only
writing this, because it is often brought up in a context of adding things to
the load path, where it should not be necessary.

For example see:
https://codeberg.org/ZelphirKaltstahl/guile-algorithms/src/commit/97f29e9a9414bd068e9b6e0745a768ad64a10dac/readme.md.
And if that is too much of a hassle, you could create a makefile, that runs
either the program or a guile shell that has the directories added to the load
path. Something like
https://codeberg.org/ZelphirKaltstahl/guile-algorithms/src/commit/97f29e9a9414bd068e9b6e0745a768ad64a10dac/graphs/Makefile.

Best regards, Zelphir

--