unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* GNU Guile unit test framework
@ 2015-12-03 13:54 Jan Synáček
From: Jan Synáček @ 2015-12-03 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello,

does a unit test framework for GNU Guile exist? Something like
"unittest" for Python for example.

Cheers,
--
Jan Synáček

* Re: GNU Guile unit test framework
@ 2015-12-03 14:12 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-12-03 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Synáček; +Cc: Guile User

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Jan Synáček <jan.synacek@gmail.com> wrote:

> does a unit test framework for GNU Guile exist? Something like
> "unittest" for Python for example.

Guile comes with SRFI-64, a unit testing specification.  See:
http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-64/srfi-64.html

Here's a "real world" example of its use from the Guix project:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/tests/packages.scm

- Dave

* Re: GNU Guile unit test framework
@ 2015-12-03 14:24   ` Jan Synáček
From: Jan Synáček @ 2015-12-03 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Guile User

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Thompson, David
<dthompson2@worcester.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Jan Synáček <jan.synacek@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> does a unit test framework for GNU Guile exist? Something like
>> "unittest" for Python for example.
>
> Guile comes with SRFI-64, a unit testing specification.  See:
> http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-64/srfi-64.html
>
> Here's a "real world" example of its use from the Guix project:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/tests/packages.scm

I *knew* I saw it somewhere:)

Thank you!
--

@ 2015-12-03 14:30 ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2015-12-03 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Synáček
  Cc: guile-user, guile-user-bounces+amirouche=hypermove.net

Le 2015-12-03 14:54, Jan Synáček a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> does a unit test framework for GNU Guile exist? Something like
> "unittest" for Python for example.

The unit test framework is srfi-64 [0]. You can find an example use in
8sync [1]. Mind the fact that it doesn't use `test-group` which can be
required in complex settings.

For no good reason that I can remember, I use my own testing forms that
looks like the following:

```
(define-syntax test-check
   (syntax-rules ()
     ((_ title tested-expression expected-result)
      (begin
        (format #true "* Checking ~s" (list title))
        (let* ((expected expected-result)
               (produced tested-expression))
          (if (not (equal? expected produced))
              (begin (format #true "Expected: ~a" (list expected))
                     (format #true "Computed: ~a" (list produced)))))))))

(when (or (getenv "CHECK") (getenv "CHECK_MARKDOWN"))

   (test-check "parse simple paragraph"
               (markdown "something")
               '((p "something"))))

```

HTH

[0] http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-64/srfi-64.html
[1] https://notabug.org/cwebber/8sync/src/master/tests/test-agenda.scm

* Re: GNU Guile unit test framework
@ 2015-12-03 15:42   ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2015-12-03 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: guile-user, guile-user-bounces+amirouche=hypermove.net

Amirouche Boubekki writes:

> Le 2015-12-03 14:54, Jan Synáček a écrit:
>> Hello,
>>
>> does a unit test framework for GNU Guile exist? Something like
>> "unittest" for Python for example.
>
> The unit test framework is srfi-64 [0]. You can find an example use in
> 8sync [1]. Mind the fact that it doesn't use `test-group` which can be
> required in complex settings.
>
> [...]
>
> [0] http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-64/srfi-64.html
> [1] https://notabug.org/cwebber/8sync/src/master/tests/test-agenda.scm

Yes, I borrowed that pattern from David Thompson (thanks Dave!).

It's a quick and dirty way to do tests.  Things could be better
though... 8sync does not report each individual test's success/failure
count in the final result, just the whole module.

I think we could probably improve upon things.

However, I *do* recommend setting up something like this as early as
absolutely possible.  Moving REPL experiments you hack on into tests as
soon as you verify that they work is a great way to build up tests
without hating doing it.

 - Chris

* Re: GNU Guile unit test framework
@ 2015-12-03 16:02     ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2015-12-03 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Allan Webber
  Cc: guile-user, guile-user-bounces+amirouche=hypermove.net

Le 2015-12-03 16:42, Christopher Allan Webber a écrit :
> Amirouche Boubekki writes:
>
>> Le 2015-12-03 14:54, Jan Synáček a écrit:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> does a unit test framework for GNU Guile exist? Something like
>>> "unittest" for Python for example.
>>
>> The unit test framework is srfi-64 [0]. You can find an example use in
>> 8sync [1]. Mind the fact that it doesn't use `test-group` which can be
>> required in complex settings.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> [0] http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-64/srfi-64.html
>> [1] https://notabug.org/cwebber/8sync/src/master/tests/test-agenda.scm
>
> However, I *do* recommend setting up something like this as early as
> absolutely possible.  Moving REPL experiments you hack on into tests as
> soon as you verify that they work is a great way to build up tests
> without hating doing it.

Exactly my thought!

Even tho I don't practice TDD (test before coding) I really value tests
as
maintainer in the sens that they help moving forward in serenity and as
code reader for instance in 8sync, they are narrow examples of how
things
works which help to understand the overall program.

Happy hacking!

* Re: GNU Guile unit test framework
@ 2015-12-03 23:17     ` Jan Wedekind
From: Jan Wedekind @ 2015-12-03 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Synáček, Thompson, David; +Cc: Guile User

I am currently using guile-tap [1] which generates output for Automake TAP (Test Anything Protocol). It does not provide mocking though. One could have a look at how Clojure/Midje for that.

[1] https://github.com/wedesoft/guile-tap/blob/master/README.md

--
Jan Wedekind
http://www.wedesoft.de/