unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Guile Game Library
@ 2013-05-29  0:30 David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2013-05-29  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello all,

In my free time I like to tinker with game development, and I also like
to tinker with Guile.
I come from a Python background where I used such libraries as Pyglet
and Pygame.
These libraries were easy to use and had all the conveniences for making
2D games (Pyglet sports a full GL binding for doing more advanced stuff
as well).
I haven't found a similar library for Guile. Is there one that I haven't
discovered?

If there isn't, one should be made. Pygame is a fun treat for new Python
programmers, and I think a similar library for Guile would be even more
fun. :)
In the past I've tried to wrap the Allegro 5 library using the Guile C
API, and also with the FFI. My experience doing so lead me to the
conclusion that a game library developed completely in Guile, not just a
mere wrapper, would ultimately be much more satisfying.

Now, how would this be achieved? I looked briefly at the source code of
Pygame and Pyglet and learned the following:
Pygame uses the Python C API to wrap up a bunch of SDL calls. Since
Pygame uses SDL, the graphics functions use a software renderer which
isn't optimal.
Pyglet doesn't seem to use any C code and instead uses the FFI. Pyglet
sports OpenGL, X11, and FreeType bindings to name a few. I personally
prefer this development model over Pygame's.

What Guile libraries already exist that can provide needed
functionality? (Windows, Graphics, Sound, Keyboard/mouse/joystick input,
Fonts, Physics, etc.)

What libraries would best suit this purpose? Figl (wingo's GL binding)
is an obvious choice, as well as a Freetype binding (that I'm not sure
exists). But what about the other important pieces such as sound and input?

Thanks, Guilers!

- Dave