unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Guile 2 deprecated procedure and SLIB
@ 2013-02-01 23:03 Andrew Bernard
From: Andrew Bernard @ 2013-02-01 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Greetings,

In the latest top CVS of SLIB (as of Feb 2013), with Guile 2.0.7, the
procedure used in the common lisp time section decode-universal-time use
the deprecated procedure list->uniform-array.

I am new to Scheme, and not sure how to handle this. Not wanting to
enable the use of deprecated procedures, how does one proceed?

Is there an active SLIB mailing list for discussion?

Andrew

* Re: Guile 2 deprecated procedure and SLIB
@ 2013-02-04 11:19 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2013-02-04 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Bernard; +Cc: guile-user

On Sat 02 Feb 2013 00:03, Andrew Bernard <andrew.bernard@gmail.com> writes:

> In the latest top CVS of SLIB (as of Feb 2013), with Guile 2.0.7, the
> procedure used in the common lisp time section decode-universal-time use
> the deprecated procedure list->uniform-array.

Perhaps Mikael would like to patch this one up? :-)

> I am new to Scheme, and not sure how to handle this. Not wanting to
> enable the use of deprecated procedures, how does one proceed?

Deprecated procedures are enabled by default; you'd have to do something
special to disable them.  For now I would just deal with it or file a
patch with SLIB to replace this function.

> Is there an active SLIB mailing list for discussion?

Here is fine.  Also there is a list:
responsive.

Cheers,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: Guile 2 deprecated procedure and SLIB
@ 2013-02-07 20:50   ` Mikael Djurfeldt
From: Mikael Djurfeldt @ 2013-02-07 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-user

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sat 02 Feb 2013 00:03, Andrew Bernard <andrew.bernard@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In the latest top CVS of SLIB (as of Feb 2013), with Guile 2.0.7, the
>> procedure used in the common lisp time section decode-universal-time use
>> the deprecated procedure list->uniform-array.
>
> Perhaps Mikael would like to patch this one up? :-)

Sorry... I do not feel any responsibility for the current slib
interface and I don't know the common lisp time section of slib.

The reason why I wanted to have a go with it previously was because I
needed it operational as a user.

I think my guile-time is better used on guile-scmutils right now.

Best regards,
Mikael D.

* Re: Guile 2 deprecated procedure and SLIB
@ 2013-02-08  3:17   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2013-02-08  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-user

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

> On Sat 02 Feb 2013 00:03, Andrew Bernard <andrew.bernard@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In the latest top CVS of SLIB (as of Feb 2013), with Guile 2.0.7, the
>> procedure used in the common lisp time section decode-universal-time use
>> the deprecated procedure list->uniform-array.
[...]
>> I am new to Scheme, and not sure how to handle this. Not wanting to
>> enable the use of deprecated procedures, how does one proceed?
>
> Deprecated procedures are enabled by default; you'd have to do something
> special to disable them.  For now I would just deal with it or file a
> patch with SLIB to replace this function.

Unfortunately, 'list->uniform-array' is not merely deprecated; it has
been removed entirely from Guile 2.0.

       Mark

* Re: Guile 2 deprecated procedure and SLIB
@ 2013-02-08  8:22     ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2013-02-08  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikael; +Cc: guile-user

On Thu 07 Feb 2013 21:50, Mikael Djurfeldt <mikael@djurfeldt.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Sat 02 Feb 2013 00:03, Andrew Bernard <andrew.bernard@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> In the latest top CVS of SLIB (as of Feb 2013), with Guile 2.0.7, the
>>> procedure used in the common lisp time section decode-universal-time use
>>> the deprecated procedure list->uniform-array.
>>
>> Perhaps Mikael would like to patch this one up? :-)
>
> Sorry... I do not feel any responsibility for the current slib
> interface and I don't know the common lisp time section of slib.

Apologies for presuming.  I thought you mentioned you wanted to do
something about the guile, slib, and uniform arrays; the use of
list->uniform-array is there.  My mistake!

Cheers,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: Guile 2 deprecated procedure and SLIB
@ 2013-02-08  8:40       ` Mikael Djurfeldt
From: Mikael Djurfeldt @ 2013-02-08  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-user

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu 07 Feb 2013 21:50, Mikael Djurfeldt <mikael@djurfeldt.com> writes:

>>> Perhaps Mikael would like to patch this one up? :-)
>>
>> Sorry... I do not feel any responsibility for the current slib
>> interface and I don't know the common lisp time section of slib.
>
> Apologies for presuming.  I thought you mentioned you wanted to do
> something about the guile, slib, and uniform arrays; the use of
> list->uniform-array is there.  My mistake!

No, you're right.  I looked back at the thread and I clearly had the
intention to do something about the uniform arrays.  I had forgotten
this! :-)

As I explained previously, I had intended to do this when I had some
time around Christmas.  Now I don't have time. :(

So, while I'll keep it in mind and have a go at it when the moment
comes, I wouldn't recommend anyone to rely on this.

I guess the support for the new arrays should go into the guil.init
file in slib, right?

Anyway, I *am* doing some work-related stuff in scmutils and can work on that.

Best regards,
Mikael D.

* Re: Guile 2 deprecated procedure and SLIB
@ 2013-02-08  9:32     ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2013-02-08  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guile-user

On Fri 08 Feb 2013 04:17, Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> On Sat 02 Feb 2013 00:03, Andrew Bernard <andrew.bernard@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> In the latest top CVS of SLIB (as of Feb 2013), with Guile 2.0.7, the
>>> procedure used in the common lisp time section decode-universal-time use
>>> the deprecated procedure list->uniform-array.
> [...]
>>> I am new to Scheme, and not sure how to handle this. Not wanting to
>>> enable the use of deprecated procedures, how does one proceed?
>>
>> Deprecated procedures are enabled by default; you'd have to do something
>> special to disable them.  For now I would just deal with it or file a
>> patch with SLIB to replace this function.
>
> Unfortunately, 'list->uniform-array' is not merely deprecated; it has
> been removed entirely from Guile 2.0.

Ah, you are correct.  Deprecated around 2005-01-10 by Marius, and
removed by me in 2009 with 86d88a223c64276e7cd9b4503e7e2ecca5aae320.

NEWS says that list->typed-array is the thing to use instead.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/