unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Problems making & installing Guile 1.4
@ 2001-08-18  7:39 Byron Hale
       [not found] ` <20020417154024.GA1274@www>
From: Byron Hale @ 2001-08-18  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

The idea of Guile seems a good one. However,
I am having practical problems on a Linux 6.2,
x86 box, making & installing Guile 1.4.

I previously installed Guile 1.3 and it operates.
However, following the instructions for the
1.4 tar.gz, I cannot see any result. Operating
as root, I ./configure and make. But, when I run
"guile -v," the result is "1.3." I then tried
"make install," but the results are not detectably
different by me.

So, what now? I need 1.4 for some other
software.

Best regards,

Byron Hale
byron.hale@einfo.com

* Re: Problems making & installing Guile 1.4
@ 2001-08-19 11:18   ` Byron Hale
From: Byron Hale @ 2001-08-19 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Sebastien.deMentendeHorne, tomas

You're both quite right. It is installed. I can't readily change my path,
there are a lot of other things in "/usr/bin," so I renamed guile 1.3
and made a note to myself, incase there are any dependencies.

Some programs install with the full package name in the same directory.

At any rate, Guile 1.4 is up and running. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Byron Hale
byron.hale@einfo.com

@ 2002-04-16  9:20 ` tomas
       [not found] ` <20020417154024.GA1274@www>
From: tomas @ 2002-04-16  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

@ 2002-04-23 22:11   ` Byron Hale
From: Byron Hale @ 2002-04-23 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

At 05:40 PM 4/17/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>The usual thing to do is to have /usr/local/bin *before* /usr/bin
>in your $PATH (you set that in your $HOME/.bash_profile; for a
>global setting, i.e. for all users, you'd edit /etc/profile).
>
>This way, things you install under /usr/local take precedence
>over things pre-installed in /usr, which is usually what you
>want. Your mileage might vary, of course.
>
>For root it's different. There, security considerations are
>more important than ease of use.

Actually, my own, non-root, account has the ordering that you mentioned.
I'm afraid to tinker with root's path ordering, so I'm leaving it as is.

Apparently I installed Guile 1.3 in January or February as a general good
idea and renaming 1.3 hasn't hurt me so far. Using Guile as a shell,
given that it will be made more consistent and not so dependent on
whitespace placement, etc.,  seems an excellent idea to me.

I studied SICP using Scheme and miss its continuations in SML97 and
Haskell98. I'll be following this list with interest now.

 > At any rate, Guile 1.4 is up and running. Thanks!
>Good news, then!
>Regards
>-- tomas

Byron