unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
From: Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>
To: Blake Shaw <blake@reproduciblemedia.com>
Cc: "Stefan Israelsson Tampe" <stefan.itampe@gmail.com>,
	"Lars Magnus Jonsson" <jonsson4646@gmail.com>,
	"Markus Triska" <markus.w.triska@gmail.com>,
	"Lenz Maria" <maria.lenz@dinbil.se>,
	"Johan Lenz" <johan.lenz@me.com>,
	"Mikael Djurfeldt" <mikael@djurfeldt.com>,
	"Andy Wingo" <invalid.noreply@gnu.org>,
	"Alex Shinn" <alexshinn@gmail.com>,
	"Amirouche Boubekki" <amirouche@hypermove.net>,
	anders.bergdahl@se.abb.com,
	"Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne.babenhauserheide@kit.edu>,
	"Anton Bergström" <b16antbe@student.his.se>,
	"Chaos Eternal" <chaoseternal@gmail.com>,
	christoffer.holmstedt@se.abb.com,
	guile-devel <guile-devel@gnu.org>,
	eckhard.tampe@gmail.com,
	"Tärna folkhögskola" <skolexp@tarna.fhsk.se>,
	flyktingguide.vasteras@redcross.se,
	"Mikael Jansson" <golliebacho@hotmail.com>,
	"Ian Price" <ianprice90@gmail.com>,
	sarah.jansson@falcksverige.se, "Sarah Jansson" <sarah.jansson@ou>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 13:06:07 +0200	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1977 bytes --]

Op 05-07-2023 om 12:42 schreef Blake Shaw:
> I think the guile mailing list has come to suffer seriously from a
> policing of what is appropriate for discussion. When I first started
> getting into guile at the beginning of 2021, the list was more open,
> active and enjoyable. Since then it has become a ghost town where
> tumbleweeds blow by in the time that remains between intermittent duals.
> But strangely there are still lots of people living in the town (ie
> guile users), they just seldom visit main street these days.
>
> I'm personally interested to hear about what Stefan and other Guilers
> are up to beyond Guile, insofar as nobody is directing hate or bigotry.
> But more importantly, I wish that Guile could again become a space that
> welcomes discourse insofar as that discourse isn't perceived by some as
> causing harm or stirring irrelevant controversy.

’Being policed for basic on-topicness’ and ‘open and enjoyable’ are not
mutually exclusive, and the former isn't a negative thing.

I find the ‘ghost town’ analogy a rather bad analogy; I would instead
say that 'guile-devel' is, say, a research lab (dedicated to Guile
itself) in an alive research centre (dedicated to Guile in general) --
the Guile department isn't really alive, but that's just because of lack
of applicants and interest in working on Guile itself, not because of a
bad work environment.

I don't have an issue with increasing the scope of what's considered
on-topic of the mailing list to also include ‘what are others up to
beyond Guile’ (changing it from ‘research lab’ to ‘an environment that
contains a (strict) research lab and (non-strict) hanging-out area’ in
the analogy).

However, this increase in scope hasn't actually happened yet -- it's
still named guile-devel (i.e., __development__) -- it needs a name
change, or some documentation in the manual.

Best regards,
Maxime Devos