unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* What happened to the infix module?
@ 2008-08-02 12:10 Maciek Godek
From: Maciek Godek @ 2008-08-02 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

Browsing the web, I ran into the documentation of guile's ice-9 infix module:
http://gnuvola.org/software/guile/doc/Reading-Infix.html
Yet there's no such module in the repository.
What happened?

M.

* Re: What happened to the infix module?
@ 2008-08-02 12:45 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2008-08-02 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Maciek Godek; +Cc: guile-user

() "Maciek Godek" <pstrychuj@gmail.com>
() Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:10:24 +0200

   http://gnuvola.org/software/guile/doc/Reading-Infix.html
   Yet there's no such module in the repository.
   What happened?

Well, that documentation is for Guile 1.4.x, so you can find
that module where you can find Guile 1.4.x.  In other words,
  released: http://www.gnuvola.org/software/guile/
       wip: http://www.gnuvola.org/wip/  (g14)

At the moment, i'm screwing my courage up to (locally) merge git
repos so that perhaps people can browse 1.4.x features in the
context of official Guile (and vice versa) more easily.

thi

* Re: What happened to the infix module?
@ 2008-08-02 14:09   ` Maciek Godek
From: Maciek Godek @ 2008-08-02 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

> () "Maciek Godek" <pstrychuj@gmail.com>
> () Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:10:24 +0200
>
>   http://gnuvola.org/software/guile/doc/Reading-Infix.html
>   Yet there's no such module in the repository.
>   What happened?
>
> Well, that documentation is for Guile 1.4.x, so you can find
> that module where you can find Guile 1.4.x.  In other words,
>  released: http://www.gnuvola.org/software/guile/
>       wip: http://www.gnuvola.org/wip/  (g14)

Oh, I finally have my chance to ask:
why was the guile 1.4 fork created?
was there too much software
for that version of guile that would
be difficult to adjust to the trunk?
(or was it __better__ than the 1.6 and 1.8,
that were assigned higher version numbers
to cause the confusion?)

thanks

@ 2008-08-02 17:10     ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2008-08-02 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Maciek Godek; +Cc: guile-user

2008/8/2 Maciek Godek <pstrychuj@gmail.com>:

> Oh, I finally have my chance to ask:
> why was the guile 1.4 fork created?

There was an argument in about May 2005 between Thien-Thi and the
maintainer at the time (Marius Vollmer).  It began technically, but
became a bit unpleasant, and Marius felt that he had to revoke
Thien-Thi's ability to commit to the Guile CVS repository.

And so on, from there...

      Neil