unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* ice-9 and $GUILE_LOAD_PATH
@ 2008-01-29 10:40 Dave Pawson
From: Dave Pawson @ 2008-01-29 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User List

New user, Fedora Core,
Guile at /usr/share/guile/1.8/
Reading the manual
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html

The debug seems to require ice-9
  (use-modules (ice-9 debugger breakpoints))

Adding that to .guile results in an error message
not found.
Seems it uses  GUILE_LOAD_PATH

To what should the env variable be set please?
I tried
  export GUILE_LOAD_PATH=/usr/share/guile/1.8/
without success.

Any suggestions/url's for reading please?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

* Re: ice-9 and $GUILE_LOAD_PATH
@ 2008-01-29 11:32 ` Dave Pawson
From: Dave Pawson @ 2008-01-29 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User List

Dave Pawson wrote:
> New user, Fedora Core,
> Guile at /usr/share/guile/1.8/
> Reading the manual
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html
>
> The debug seems to require ice-9
>  (use-modules (ice-9 debugger breakpoints))

Seemingly resolved?
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Intro-to-Breakpoints
The manual may be at fault.

(use-modules (ice-9 debugger))
and
(use-modules (ice-9 breakpoints))

seems to work.

I.e. two items, not three.

Still unsure if the envar is needed, and what it should be set to.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

* Re: ice-9 and $GUILE_LOAD_PATH
@ 2008-01-29 21:23 Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2008-01-29 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Pawson, Guile User List

> Dave Pawson wrote:
> > New user, Fedora Core,
> > Guile at /usr/share/guile/1.8/
> > Reading the manual
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html
> >
> > The debug seems to require ice-9
> >  (use-modules (ice-9 debugger breakpoints))
>

> Seemingly resolved?
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Intro-to-Breakpoints
> The manual may be at fault.
>
> (use-modules (ice-9 debugger))
> and
> (use-modules (ice-9 breakpoints))

If I recall correctly, the breakpoint library was split off into a separate package.  The manual is incorrect.  This is a known bug, and should be fixed in the next release.

The bug is documented here.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guile/2007-10/msg00037.html

The separate package lives here, I think.

https://gna.org/projects/guile-debugging

Hope this helps,

Mike Gran

* Re: ice-9 and $GUILE_LOAD_PATH
@ 2008-01-30  8:13 ` Dave Pawson
From: Dave Pawson @ 2008-01-30  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: Guile User List

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Mike Gran wrote:
> If I recall correctly, the breakpoint library was split off into a separate package.  The manual is incorrect.  This is a known bug, and should be fixed in the next release.
>

> The separate package lives here, I think.
>
> https://gna.org/projects/guile-debugging

from which
; ** GDS setup

;; The first thing to do, if you haven't already, is to load the GDS
;; library into Emacs.  The Emacs Lisp expression for this is:
(require 'gds)

elisp?

And the documentation link http://www.ossau.uklinux.net/guile-debugging
is 404.
Bug reported, but one from 2005 is still not assigned.

http://download.gna.org/guile-debugging/guile-debugging.html
seems good though.

I'm assuming it needs to be dropped within the same 'ice-9' area
to be picked up by the environmental variable.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

* Re: ice-9 and $GUILE_LOAD_PATH
@ 2008-01-30 21:46   ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2008-01-30 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Pawson; +Cc: Guile User List

Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> writes:

> Thanks for the reply Mike.
>
> Mike Gran wrote:
>> If I recall correctly, the breakpoint library was split off into a
>> separate package.  The manual is incorrect.  This is a known bug,
>> and should be fixed in the next release.

Yes, indeed, sorry about that.  The incorrect doc was in 1.8.1 through
1.8.3, but has been removed now from 1.8.x CVS, so will no longer be
misleading people in 1.8.4.

>> The separate package lives here, I think.
>>
>> https://gna.org/projects/guile-debugging
>
> from which
> ; ** GDS setup
>
> ;; The first thing to do, if you haven't already, is to load the GDS
> ;; library into Emacs.  The Emacs Lisp expression for this is:
> (require 'gds)
>
> elisp?

Yes.  guile-debugging is a slight misnomer, because it actually
provides (or tries to) two overlapping things:

- Scheme-accessible breakpoints (and traps, and other bits of Scheme
  infrastructure)

- modes, keystrokes etc. for using Guile conveniently from within
  Emacs.

The two things overlap, because one of the nicest bits (IMHO :-)) is
how Emacs displays the Scheme stack when stopped at a breakpoint, and
allows easy navigation of it.

> And the documentation link http://www.ossau.uklinux.net/guile-debugging
> is 404.

I'm sorry, I've put something up now at
http://www.ossau.uklinux.net/guile-debugging that hopefully makes
sense, and links to the correct doc.

> Bug reported, but one from 2005 is still not assigned.

Thanks for raising your bug.  The others aren't assigned because I'm
(so far) the only developer, so there isn't much point.

> http://download.gna.org/guile-debugging/guile-debugging.html
> seems good though.

It has most of the right memes, but a lot of the details have moved
on.

> I'm assuming it needs to be dropped within the same 'ice-9' area
> to be picked up by the environmental variable.

guile-debugging could be installed anywhere, so long as you add the
install location to your GUILE_LOAD_PATH.  In practice, it's most
convenient to install it somewhere that's already in the standard
GUILE_LOAD_PATH, i.e. /usr/local/share/guile/site or
/usr/share/guile/site (depending on the prefix that Guile was
built).

> regards
>
> --
> Dave Pawson
> XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
> http://www.dpawson.co.uk

Thanks for your interest.  Please do let me know how you find it, once
you get past these initial troubles.

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: ice-9 and $GUILE_LOAD_PATH
@ 2008-01-31  8:05     ` Dave Pawson
From: Dave Pawson @ 2008-01-31  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Jerram; +Cc: Guile User List

Hi Neil.

Neil Jerram wrote:

> Yes, indeed, sorry about that.  The incorrect doc was in 1.8.1 through
> 1.8.3, but has been removed now from 1.8.x CVS, so will no longer be
> misleading people in 1.8.4.

Thanks. When's that to be put up on the website please?

>> elisp?
>
> Yes.  guile-debugging is a slight misnomer, because it actually
> provides (or tries to) two overlapping things:

> The two things overlap, because one of the nicest bits (IMHO :-)) is
> how Emacs displays the Scheme stack when stopped at a breakpoint, and
> allows easy navigation of it.

I seldom cease to be amazed at just what emacs can do!

>> And the documentation link http://www.ossau.uklinux.net/guile-debugging
>> is 404.
>
> I'm sorry, I've put something up now at
> http://www.ossau.uklinux.net/guile-debugging that hopefully makes
> sense, and links to the correct doc.

Thanks.

>> Bug reported, but one from 2005 is still not assigned.
>
> Thanks for raising your bug.  The others aren't assigned because I'm
> (so far) the only developer, so there isn't much point.

Ah! Reading the bug submission page it does look as if it's a dead project?

>> I'm assuming it needs to be dropped within the same 'ice-9' area
>> to be picked up by the environmental variable.
>
> guile-debugging could be installed anywhere, so long as you add the
> install location to your GUILE_LOAD_PATH.  In practice, it's most
> convenient to install it somewhere that's already in the standard
> GUILE_LOAD_PATH, i.e. /usr/local/share/guile/site or
> /usr/share/guile/site (depending on the prefix that Guile was
> built).

Ah! /guile/site I'm guessing works the same as site-lisp in emacs
then? Thanks. I'll use that.

I couldn't find any documentation on setting GUILE_LOAD_PATH, then
when it 'failed' to load the debug as defined in the documentation
I presumed I'd done it wrong.

regards

--
Dave Pawson