unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-18 17:13 Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2008-07-18 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Guile User

Hi-
If you could ask someone to write a library or package a set of functionality for Guile that it doesn't currently have, what would it be?
(My personal projects are near completion, and I may have some Saturdays free.)
-Mike

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-18 17:39 ` Julian Graham
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Julian Graham @ 2008-07-18 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: Guile User

Hi Mike,

I think Guile could really use a Scheme HTTP client implementation (maybe
even as part of the core).  Evan Prodromou did one for 1.4 that kind of
worked, but it's currently listed on the "old projects" list (
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/old-gnu-guile-projects.html).  I haven't
tried contacting him (Evan, do you read this list?), but it doesn't look
like it's been touched in quite some time.

Regards,
Julian

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi-
> If you could ask someone to write a library or package a set of
> functionality for Guile that it doesn't currently have, what would it be?
> (My personal projects are near completion, and I may have some Saturdays
> free.)
> -Mike

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-18 18:32 ` Andre Kuehne
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andre Kuehne @ 2008-07-18 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: Guile User

Mike Gran wrote:
> Hi-
> If you could ask someone to write a library or package a set of functionality for Guile that it doesn't currently have, what would it be?
> (My personal projects are near completion, and I may have some Saturdays free.)
> -Mike

Hi Mike,

1) I would like to have a sqlite-wrapper for guile. There is a great sqlite chicken egg

     http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/3/sqlite3.html

if this is of any help, but even a simpler interface would be nice.

2) Displaying the signature/parameters of the function around point in the message-line of emacs
would be helpful too.

Best wishes
Andre

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-18 18:38 Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2008-07-18 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Guile User

Julian-
There are a couple of ways to do HTTP client stuff already.
TTN's Guile-WWW will do http GET.  It has the advantage of being very schemey.
Depending on you Guile setup, it may need modification.  Last time I tried to use it some time ago, it back-ported (fore-ported?) easily enough.  IIRC there was some little thing about macros that needed to be simplified to get it to work.  I don't remember exactly.  It doesn't (or perhaps didn't) do POST, though.
Alternately, Guile-GNOME has the Gnome-vfs interface wrapped.  This does some http client stuff.
I think either of these would be enough for simple things.
But in terms of more featureful libraries that could be adapted/wrapped, I rather like libcurl.  Bigloo scheme has bindings for this one.  It does all the LDAP and https stuff.
But then again libcurl doesn't do webdav.
The neon client library does do webdav.
-Mike Gran

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-18 19:37 dsmich
From: dsmich @ 2008-07-18 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andre Kuehne; +Cc: Guile User

---- Andre Kuehne <andre.kuehne@gmx.net> wrote:
> Mike Gran wrote:
> > Hi-
> > If you could ask someone to write a library or package a set of functionality for Guile that it doesn't currently have, what would it be?
> > (My personal projects are near completion, and I may have some Saturdays free.)
> > -Mike
> >

> Hi Mike,
>
> 1) I would like to have a sqlite-wrapper for guile. There is a great sqlite chicken egg
>
>      http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/3/sqlite3.html
>
> if this is of any help, but even a simpler interface would be nice.

Hmm.  I have a small wrapper that I have been using in sneek (the #guile channel bot on freende) for years.  It just provides open, close, and exec.

I think it's still at http://users.adelphia.net/~dsmich/guile-sqlite-0.4.tar.gz

-Dale

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-18 19:43 dsmich
From: dsmich @ 2008-07-18 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andre Kuehne; +Cc: guile-user

---- Andre Kuehne <andre.kuehne@gmx.net> wrote:
> 2) Displaying the signature/parameters of the function around point in the message-line of emacs
> would be helpful too.

Yes.  There ought to be a way of adding this to gds.  I think we just need some hooks for eldoc-mode, right?

-Dale

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-19  0:40 ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2008-07-19  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi-

> If you could ask someone to write a library or package a set of
> functionality for Guile that it doesn't currently have, what would it
> be? (My personal projects are near completion, and I may have some
> Saturdays free.)

Bindings for OpenGL/GLU/GLUT would be great.

jao
--
Nature uses as little as possible of anything.
  -Johannes Kepler, astronomer (1571-1630)

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-19  5:49   ` Maciek Godek
From: Maciek Godek @ 2008-07-19  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

>> Hi-
>
>> If you could ask someone to write a library or package a set of
>> functionality for Guile that it doesn't currently have, what would it
>> be? (My personal projects are near completion, and I may have some
>> Saturdays free.)
>
> Bindings for OpenGL/GLU/GLUT would be great.

They definitely wouldn't be disturbing. On the other hand, OpenGL is such flat
a library if it comes to structure, that it could be wiser to write a semi
automatic tool for making guile bindings from C headers, i.e. to
transform declarations like

// gl.h
#define GL_BYTE 0x1400
// ...
GLAPI void GLAPIENTRY glVertex3d(GLdouble x, GLdouble y, GLdouble z);

// gl-module.c
static SCM glVertex3d_scmwrapped(SCM x, SCM y, SCM z) {
  glVertex3d(scm_to_double(x), scm_to_double(y), scm_to_double(z));
  return SCM_UNSPECIFIED;
}

// ...

void init() {
  scm_c_define_gsubr("glVertex3d", 3, 0, 0, glVertex3d_scmwrapped);
// ...
}

;; gl.scm
(define-module (gl))
(load-extension "gl-module" "init")
(define-public GL_BYTE 0x1400)
; ...
(export glVertex3d)

GL is a great library to start with, for it uses only the embedded C types

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
       [not found] <cmu-lmtpd-23333-1216458306-3@mail-imap1.uio.no>
@ 2008-07-19 11:08 ` Kjetil S. Matheussen
From: Kjetil S. Matheussen @ 2008-07-19 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user; +Cc: jao

"Jose A. Ortega Ruiz":
>> Hi-
>
>> If you could ask someone to write a library or package a set of
>> functionality for Guile that it doesn't currently have, what would it
>> be? (My personal projects are near completion, and I may have some
>> Saturdays free.)
>
> Bindings for OpenGL/GLU/GLUT would be great.

Snd should have bindings for those:
http://snd.sf.net

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-19 18:10     ` Bill Schottstaedt
From: Bill Schottstaedt @ 2008-07-19 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Maciek Godek, guile-user

> that it could be wiser to write a semi
> automatic tool for making guile bindings from C headers

For gl.c in the snd (or libxm) tarball, that's tools/makegl.scm,
using the predigested header info in gldata.scm.  gl.c needs
only xen.[ch], I think, so you could easily extract it from Snd.
There's a similar (but much fancier) script for the Glib/Gdk/Gtk
bindings in xg.c: makexg.scm which uses xgdata.scm.
snd-gl.scm has a few examples of using openGL in Guile.
I just remembered, you'll also need mus-config.h.

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-07-20 20:42 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2008-07-20 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

Hello!

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi- If you could ask someone to write a library or package a set of
> functionality for Guile that it doesn't currently have, what would it
> be?

Unicode support in core Guile, FUSE bindings & GNU Hurd file system
library bindings (a unified interface to both could be provided),
reviving DMD ("Daemon managing Daemons", a replacement for `init')
and...  actual integration of Guile in a variety of applications, with
teasers showing how cool it is.  :-)

(Of course, I could think of many other ideas...  ;-))

> (My personal projects are near completion, and I may have some
> Saturdays free.)  -Mike

Great!  So Gano itself is nearing completion?  If so, that's good news.
I'm sure some of your free time could be used maintaining it then.  ;-)

Cheers,
Ludo'.

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-20 22:35   ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2008-07-20 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

--- On Sun, 7/20/08, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Great!  So Gano itself is nearing completion?  If so,
> that's good news.
> I'm sure some of your free time could be used
> maintaining it then.  ;-)

Ha ha.  My real-world has moved away from ncurses and the console.  So, there will never be a Gano toy editor.  I just intend to finish the wrap and documentaton of ncurses (core, panel, form, menu) and call that the endpoint.

Maintenance shouldn't be a problem, since all my code is always perfectly bug free. :-)

-Mike

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-07-21  6:34 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2008-07-21  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: Guile User

() Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com>
() Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:13:04 -0700 (PDT)

   If you could ask someone to write a library or package a set of
   functionality for Guile that it doesn't currently have, what
   would it be?

I would ask for an API-upgrade program.  This program would scan
C source to identify API elements that newer Guile no longer
supports and substitute them with equivalent constructs that newer
Guile does support.  It should be able to operate w/o modifying
the original tree, support an interactive repl for human-override,
and keep a database of the override decisions (w/ annotations).
The database should be exportable and have a published access /
modification protocol.

thi

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-21 16:02   ` JonWilson
From: JonWilson @ 2008-07-21 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kjetil S. Matheussen; +Cc: guile-user, jao

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-22 13:09     ` Bill Schottstaedt
From: Bill Schottstaedt @ 2008-07-22 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: JonWilson; +Cc: guile-user

> Would it be possible for the snd team to spend
> some time factoring out these things?

There's a short answer, and a very long answer that would take me
several hours to compose.  The short one is that two large sections
have been extracted into stand-alone libraries: sndlib and xmlib.
sndlib includes the sound file accessors, audio device handlers,
a package of array processing stuff, and a package of sound
synthesis functions.  xmlib includes bindings for Motif, Xt, X,
Glib, Gdk, Gtk, cairo, and openGL.  These are available at
ccrma's ftp site:

  ftp://ccrma-ftp.stanford.edu/pub/Lisp/sndlib.tar.gz
  ftp://ccrma-ftp.stanford.edu/pub/Lisp/libxm.tar.gz

xen.h has macros to deal with all the changes from Guile 1.3.4
to the present.  I could extract more from Snd, the axis drawing stuff
for example, or the optimizer, but most of the code is specific to editing and
synthesizing sounds.

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
       [not found] <cmu-lmtpd-5742-1216742728-1@mail-imap1.uio.no>
@ 2008-07-22 16:24 ` Kjetil S. Matheussen
From: Kjetil S. Matheussen @ 2008-07-22 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

JonWilson:

> It seems that snd has a significant amount of functionality that might
> be generally useful.  Would it be possible for the snd team to spend
> some time factoring out these things?  I know that snd-c and the GL
> bindings have been mentioned here, but I suspect there are other things
> as well?
> Regards,
> Jon

I think extracting eval-c from snd should be quite simple.
I'll add that to my mental TODO list. (Reminder: Add
electronic TODO list to TODO list)

Another useful functionality would be the stalin interface,
but that requires a lot more work.