unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* guile website [was Re: guile history: your input needed!]
@ 2008-11-24  3:46 Linas Vepstas
From: Linas Vepstas @ 2008-11-24  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clinton Ebadi; +Cc: guile-user

2008/11/23 Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org>:
> "Linas Vepstas" <linasvepstas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2008/11/23 Neil Jerram <neiljerram@googlemail.com>:
>>>  If we had a clearer statement of
>>> the present, it would not matter so much how people describe the past.
>>
>> Is there a clear expression of a vision for the future?
>> What might one look forward to? What needs to be
>> done?
>
> In the near future it looks like the task list is something like:
>
>  * Merge the guile-vm branch into trunk
>  * Ditch the Guile GC for BDW-GC (maybe; the lower latencies

Thanks ... excellent summary ... Could this be posted
somewhere under  http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html ?

Strangely, clicking on "core projects" gives no whiff of
work on VM's GC, etc.

Clicking on "development -- project summary" or
"development -- helping out" also leads to uninformative
links.

Clicking on "development -- cool ideas" lists some cool
ideas, but the list also seems horridly out of date.

I believe that keeping these kinds of pointers and
lists up-to-date helps attract good developers, and
helps maintain an air of vitality about the project.

-- As I look around: some minor requests:

Can someone move guile-dbi from
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/old-gnu-guile-projects.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/gnu-guile-projects.html
?

I now maintain guile-dbi & am using it with 1.8.5.
The current version of guile-dbi is 2.1.1 not 0.5 ...

Also -- GnuCash can be moved from the old list to
the current list -- best of my understanding, it runs
on the latest guile.  I am no longer the maintainer.

--linas

* Re: guile website
@ 2008-11-24 20:49 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2008-11-24 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello,

"Linas Vepstas" <linasvepstas@gmail.com> writes:

> Strangely, clicking on "core projects" gives no whiff of
> work on VM's GC, etc.
>
> Clicking on "development -- project summary" or
> "development -- helping out" also leads to uninformative
> links.
>
> Clicking on "development -- cool ideas" lists some cool
> ideas, but the list also seems horridly out of date.

Correct, but feel free to provide patches!  :-)

> Can someone move guile-dbi from
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/old-gnu-guile-projects.html
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/gnu-guile-projects.html
> ?

Please provide an HTML entry for it, based on those available in
`gnu-guile-projects.html', and I'll add it.

> Also -- GnuCash can be moved from the old list to
> the current list -- best of my understanding, it runs
> on the latest guile.  I am no longer the maintainer.

Boris Zbarsky recently noted on this list that GnuCash may not work with
1.8, at least not out-of-the-box.  Can anyone check that?

Thanks,
Ludo'.

* Re: guile website
@ 2008-11-24 21:00 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2008-11-24 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi again,

"Linas Vepstas" <linasvepstas@gmail.com> writes:

> Strangely, clicking on "core projects" gives no whiff of
> work on VM's GC, etc.

OK, I added these two:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/gnu-guile-projects.html#Core

Thanks,