unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Re: A value for "nothing"
@ 2018-09-13 21:49 HiPhish
       [not found] ` <CAD2gp_Sg-aDXZKfOcL-i2py7ne4c0Cp+2HvKS4DYi1Antm_B1A@mail.gmail.com>
From: HiPhish @ 2018-09-13 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

After taking the advice from the mailing list users this is what I have come
up with:

    (define-module (msgpack nil)
      #:use-module ((srfi srfi-9) #:select (define-record-type))
      #:export (nil? (get-nil . nil)))

    (define-record-type nil
      (make-nil)  ; The raw constructor will not get exported
      nil?)

    (define get-nil  ; This will be renamed on export
      (let ((the-nil (make-nil)))  ; Singleton instance
        (λ ()
          "- Scheme procedure: nil
      Return the unique object representing nothingness in MessagePack.

      All calls to this procedure return objects which are 'eq?' to each
other."
          the-nil)))

The procedure `get-nil` gets exported as `nil` and returns a singleton
instance of my `nil` type. This way `(eq? (nil) (nil))` is always `#t`. The
only issues is that the `nil?` predicate collides with Guile's own `nil?`
predicate, so users will have to prefix or rename it when importing. I would
prefer not to export these two procedures with prefixes like `msgpack-nil` out
of the box, it's really ugly :/ What is the difference between `nil?` and
`null?` anyway? The former is not listed in the procedure index of the Guile
manual.

What do you think?

* Re: A value for "nothing"
@ 2018-08-26 20:25 HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2018-08-26 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: guile-user

The main advantage of JSON is that it is human-readable. This is great if you
want to save the data on disc and be able to get it without needing special
software, or if you want to write it out by hand but be able to parse it by a
computer. I actually had done that, I maintained a number of records by hand
and use a small script to splice the data in a modified form into a LaTeX
document.

However, being text-based becomes a liability when there is no need for human
readability. For instance, if you want to send data between processes there
will never be a human who will eyeball it, size and parsing efficiency are
much more important. JSON is non-trivial to parse.

I am writing this implementation of MessagePack because I want to be able to
write a Neovim client for Guile. This will effectively allow writing Neovim
plugins in Guile: Neovim launches an external Guile process and the two
processes communicate via RPC using MessagePack as the protocol. This way
Neovim can be retrofitted with any language for writing plugins; old Vim
needed be be compiled with support for foreign scripting languages baked into
the binary.

* A value for "nothing"
@ 2018-08-26 10:13 HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2018-08-26 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello Schemers,

I am writing an implementation of MessagePack [1] for Guile and a part of the
spec is the presence of a "nil" data type. What would be a good value to
express "nothing" in Guile? I cannot use '() because that would be
indistinguishable from the empty list, so I thought that the return value of a
function that returns nothing would be a good fit. The function `display` for
example returns an `#<unspecified>` value, but the only way of producing it
without side effects so for is the value of `(if #f #f)`. Is there a better
way?

In Racket there is the `(void)` [2] procedure which returns a `#<void>`
object, so that's what I am using there [3][4]. Any suggestions for Guile?

[1] https://msgpack.org/
[2] http://docs.racket-lang.org/reference/void.html?q=void
[3] https://gitlab.com/HiPhish/MsgPack.rkt/blob/master/msgpack/unpack.rkt#L47
[4] https://gitlab.com/HiPhish/MsgPack.rkt/blob/master/msgpack/pack.rkt#L35