On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 06:48:56PM -0500, Tim Meehan wrote: > Thanks all for the input - I think I have a better understanding of > derivative work. I think that I'll look for a paper on the algorithm and > work from there. > > For the curious, the "hypothetical" code in question was from here > Yes, Brent-Dekker is well known. There are good descriptions all around. Actually, Wikipedia's [0] is pretty well written and accessible. It has also hints on the improvements usual nowadays. Actually, AFAICS, GSL (the GNU scientific library) [1] implements its one-dimensional root finding [2] based on Brent-Dekker. Cheers [0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent's_method [1] https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/doc/html/intro.html [2] https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/doc/html/roots.html - t