unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
From: Chris Vine <vine35792468@gmail.com>
To: guile-user@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Guile 3.0.7 compile cache messages
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 11:30:17 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed,  2 Jun 2021 08:52:54 +0000
Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> wrote:
> On 6/2/21 8:00 AM, Adriano Peluso wrote:
> > Il giorno mar, 01/06/2021 alle 08.14 -0400, Olivier Dion via General
> > Guile related discussions ha scritto:

> >> I also find it annoying.  I use Guile as a script language for a
> >> video game engine in C.  This interferes with the logging system and it
> >> annoys the hell out of me >:-)
> > Does this bug help anyone of you ?
> >
> > https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16364
>
> To be honest my need is not as urgent as something failing because of the
> messages, but rather a visual annoyance, that did not happen before. When I do
> not expect a recompilation, because I did not change any code, then it is
> surprising to see the cache messages appearing, even with auto compilation
> switched off. For a moment I think: "Huh? Did something change?" and then "Ah,
> it is only those always shown messages.". It did not use to do that.
>
> I am not sure what changed in my setting or with GNU Guile. My theory is, that
> it is something introduced between 3.0.5 (or 4?) and 3.0.7 perhaps. Or that
> something was changed in the way that GNU Guix installs GNU Guile and that
> affects the caching messages somehow.

You reported that when running  a program file of yours named 'main.scm'
which is in your project's source directory, you get this message:

$ guile -L . main.scm
;;; note: source file ./logging.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/home/user/.guix-profile/lib/guile/3.0/site-ccache/logging.go
;;; found fresh local cache at
/home/user/.cache/guile/ccache/3.0-LE-8-4.5/home/user/dev/guile/lf2-data-files/logging.scm.go
;;; note: source file ./file-reader.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/home/user/.guix-profile/lib/guile/3.0/site-ccache/file-reader.go
;;; found fresh local cache at
/home/user/.cache/guile/ccache/3.0-LE-8-4.5/home/user/dev/guile/lf2-data-files/file-reader.scm.go
160

On the face of it the warnings look reasonable and I would be surprised
if they were something new.  You appear to have two module files
logging.scm and file-reader.scm in your project's source directory
/home/user/dev/guile/lf2-data-files which are newer than
pre-compiled .go files for them which you (or guix on your behalf) have
installed at some time in the past in guile-3.0's site-ccache,
presumably by some kind of 'make install' operation carried out for
your project.  When you updated logging.scm and file-reader.scm in your
project, guile noticed this, recompiled the modules for you
automatically and put the generated code in your local cache
directory.  It now emits helpful warnings in consequence.

The question is how did you get into this position?  More particulaly,
what installed logging.go and file-reader.go in site-ccache (presumably
'make install') and, when logging.scm and file-reader.scm were updated,
why didn't you recompile and reinstall your modules?

The most immediate solution is to delete your local cache and reinstall
your program modules.  Alternatively, I suspect from your comments that
your normal work methods may be better served by not pre-compiling/
installing the modules at all, and instead rely on their automatic
compilation and installation into the local cache by guile on need.

Possibly there is a guix issue involved but it looks more
straightforward than that. I don't use guix.