unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* [ANN] guile-gi 0.0.2 released
@ 2019-06-16 19:20 Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2019-06-16 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello. I am announcing guile-gi v0.0.2.

guile-gi is a library that autogenerates GNU Guile bindings for
GObject libraries that provide typelib files.  GNU Guile is an
implementation of Scheme, a Lisp-like language.  GObject is a standard
way of writing C-language libraries with headers and introspection
information that are intended to allow them to be used from other
languages. Typelib files are GObject's standard way to provide that
introspection information. Among the GObject libraries are GTK3 and
WebKitGTK2, two popular GUI libraries.

In short, this library hopes to make GTK3 and WebKit2 available to
Guile.

This particular library is one of several different attempts and
solving the interface between GTK+3 and Guile.  Its differentiating
(mis)feature is that its bindings are created dynamically at runtime
by parsing typelib files.

This is pre-alpha code.  Use at your own risk.

The NEWS for this release is
- Improvements in C-to-SCM procedure argument conversions
- Guix skeleton (thanks Jan)
- More versatile GObject construction (thanks LordYuuma)
- More tests and demos

The git repo is at
  https://github.com/spk121/guile-gi.git
The code can be browsed at
  https://github.com/spk121/guile-gi
The almost non-existent documentation can be read at
  https://spk121.github.io/guile-gi/
A tarball can be downloaded from
  http://lonelycactus.com/tarball/guile-gi-0.0.2.tar.gz

To read about what this library is supposed to do, check out
  https://spk121.github.io/guile-gi/Getting-Started.html

Regards,
Mike Gran

* Re: [ANN] guile-gi 0.0.2 released
@ 2019-06-16 19:40 ` Mike Gran
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mike Gran @ 2019-06-16 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 12:20:27PM -0700, Mike Gran wrote:
> Hello. I am announcing guile-gi v0.0.2.
>

> A tarball can be downloaded from
>   http://lonelycactus.com/tarball/guile-gi-0.0.2.tar.gz

Sorry, the correct link is

@ 2019-06-16 20:06 ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-06-16 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: guile-user

---- On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 14:20:27 -0500 Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> wrote ----

 > Hello. I am announcing guile-gi v0.0.2.
 >
 > guile-gi is a library that autogenerates GNU Guile bindings for
 > GObject libraries that provide typelib files.  GNU Guile is an
 > implementation of Scheme, a Lisp-like language.  GObject is a standard
 > way of writing C-language libraries with headers and introspection
 > information that are intended to allow them to be used from other
 > languages. Typelib files are GObject's standard way to provide that
 > introspection information. Among the GObject libraries are GTK3 and
 > WebKitGTK2, two popular GUI libraries.
 >
 > In short, this library hopes to make GTK3 and WebKit2 available to
 > Guile.
 >
 > This particular library is one of several different attempts and
 > solving the interface between GTK+3 and Guile.  Its differentiating
 > (mis)feature is that its bindings are created dynamically at runtime
 > by parsing typelib files.
 >
 > This is pre-alpha code.  Use at your own risk.
 >
 > The NEWS for this release is
 > - Improvements in C-to-SCM procedure argument conversions
 > - Guix skeleton (thanks Jan)
 > - More versatile GObject construction (thanks LordYuuma)
 > - More tests and demos
 >
 > The git repo is at
 >  https://github.com/spk121/guile-gi.git
 > The code can be browsed at
 >  https://github.com/spk121/guile-gi
 > The almost non-existent documentation can be read at
 >  https://spk121.github.io/guile-gi/
 > A tarball can be downloaded from
 >  http://lonelycactus.com/tarball/guile-gi-0.0.2.tar.gz
 >
 > To read about what this library is supposed to do, check out
 >  https://spk121.github.io/guile-gi/Getting-Started.html
 >
 > Regards,
 > Mike Gran

I want to use guile-gi in the future. Thanks for working on this :)

* Re: [ANN] guile-gi 0.0.2 released
@ 2019-06-16 20:49 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-06-16 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: guile-user

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> writes:

> In short, this library hopes to make GTK3 and WebKit2 available to
> Guile.
>
> This particular library is one of several different attempts and
> solving the interface between GTK+3 and Guile.  Its differentiating
> (mis)feature is that its bindings are created dynamically at runtime
> by parsing typelib files.

This is very important work.  Thank you!

      Mark

* Re: [ANN] guile-gi 0.0.2 released
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-06-17 11:57 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-06-17 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spk121; +Cc: guile-user

Hi Mike,

> Hello. I am announcing guile-gi v0.0.2.

Yay!  Thank you.

I updated the package in Guix and noticed that the test for
atomic_int_set is marked as XFAIL, but it now passes.  In Guix we now
override the list of XFAIL_TESTS to let the tests pass.

--
Ricardo

* Re: [ANN] guile-gi 0.0.2 released
@ 2019-06-17 13:09   ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2019-06-17 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guile-user

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 01:57:50PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> > Hello. I am announcing guile-gi v0.0.2.
>
> Yay!  Thank you.
>
> I updated the package in Guix and noticed that the test for
> atomic_int_set is marked as XFAIL, but it now passes.  In Guix we now
> override the list of XFAIL_TESTS to let the tests pass.

Thank you.  It is quite interesting that it should pass in another
environment.

-Mike

* Re: [ANN] guile-gi 0.0.2 released
       [not found] <mailman.81.1560787249.14391.guile-user@gnu.org>
@ 2019-06-17 22:39 ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2019-06-17 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

I don't really understand what guile-gi does or how it does that, but I
think being able to reliably build applications with GUI using GTK would
be great with Guile. I like GTK3 and did something with Python some time
ago, but that's not as cool as doing things with Guile! If guile-di
helps with that, then it is truly important for the Guile ecosystem, I
think.