unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Dumb Licensing Questions
@ 2016-12-15  2:41 Wes Frazier
From: Wes Frazier @ 2016-12-15  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

I have been poking around with guile and trying to learn scheme. However
I have a licensing question and please forgive me if this has been
answered elsewhere, ive tried searching quite a bit, and checked the GPL
Faq and couldn't find it.

I've noticed that several language bindings listed under libraries on
the website such as guile-sdl and guile-ncurses are licensed under the
GPL. And ive looked quite closely at guile-sdl and can't seem to find a
linking exception.

Ive mostly stuck to compiled languages until now. However, I know that
if I were writing compiled code, using a GPLed library with no linking
exception, my resulting code would have to be GPLed as well. This is why
many libraries are under the LGPL instead (including libsdl proper.)

Is this the case for interpreted languages? including scheme code
interpreted via guile? Is code using guile-sdl thus forced to be under
the GPL?

If not why are so many other guile libraries released LGPL?

And if so why was guile-sdl licensed GPL when it's upstream library was
LGPL? Was this intentional?

- Wes

* Re: Dumb Licensing Questions
@ 2016-12-15  2:46 ` spk121
From: spk121 @ 2016-12-15  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Wes Frazier, guile-user

For guile-ncurses, only a couple of test programs are GPL. The library itself is LGPL, if I recall correctly.

* Re: Dumb Licensing Questions
@ 2016-12-15 19:18 ` Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2016-12-15 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: wes.frazier; +Cc: guile-user

Wes Frazier writes:

> Ive mostly stuck to compiled languages until now. However, I know that
> if I were writing compiled code, using a GPLed library with no linking
> exception, my resulting code would have to be GPLed as well. This is why
> many libraries are under the LGPL instead (including libsdl proper.)
>
> Is this the case for interpreted languages? including scheme code
> interpreted via guile? Is code using guile-sdl thus forced to be under
> the GPL?

You need to differenciate more strongly between code and the combined
work your users actually get.

For compiled code as well as for interpreted code which uses GPL’ed
code, your own code has to be under a GPL-compatible license.

If you ship the different parts together, the resulting *combined work*
will be GPL, but your part of the code will stay under the
(GPL-compatible) license you selected.

This means you have to provide your code to people who get your
*combined work*, but the license of your part of the code need not be
GPL — only GPL-compatible.

If through refactoring you incorporate some GPL code into code which is
only GPL-compatible, having different licenses for different parts of
the codebase will likely become hard to maintain so the pragmatic
decision is simply using the GPL.

> And if so why was guile-sdl licensed GPL when it's upstream library was
> LGPL? Was this intentional?

I do not know that. It could have been intentional or not — I can find
good reasons for and against that.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Dumb Licensing Questions
@ 2016-12-24  6:15   ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2016-12-24  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

On 12/15/2016 08:18 PM, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

> Wes Frazier writes:
>
> […]
> For compiled code as well as for interpreted code which uses GPL’ed
> code, your own code has to be under a GPL-compatible license.
>
> If you ship the different parts together, the resulting *combined work*
> will be GPL, but your part of the code will stay under the
> (GPL-compatible) license you selected.
> […]

IANAL but on Wikipedia this sounds far from clear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL#Linking_and_derived_works

Regards,
Florian

* Re: Dumb Licensing Questions
@ 2016-12-24  8:03     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-12-24  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

* Re: Dumb Licensing Questions
@ 2016-12-24  8:17       ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2016-12-24  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

On 12/24/2016 09:03 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> That's probably because YANAL.
>
> (sorry, couldn't resist).
>
> It's clear that there are different standpoints. The linking thing (dynamic
> or static) hasn't, AFAIK, tested in court. It's quite possible that different
> courts reach different conclusions (in the same or different places in the
> world). It's even possible (gasp!) that the legal interpretations of things
> change over time.
>
> If I were you, I'd just comply with what the FSF proposes, and that is pretty
> clear [1]. Any reasons not to comply with that?
>
> Sorry if this sounds a bit grumpy.
>
> regards
> -- tomás

Sorry, I just wanted to call attention to other opinions. Following the
FSF is the safe and sane choice.

Regards,
Florian

* Re: Dumb Licensing Questions
@ 2016-12-24 12:55       ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2016-12-24 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: tomas; +Cc: guile-user

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> It's clear that there are different standpoints. The linking thing (dynamic
> or static) hasn't, AFAIK, tested in court. It's quite possible that different
> courts reach different conclusions (in the same or different places in the
> world). It's even possible (gasp!) that the legal interpretations of things
> change over time.

Completely agreed.   And, to expand, copyright law doesn't talk about
linking, it talks about things like "derived works", which leads to "if you
do X, is it a derived work".

> If I were you, I'd just comply with what the FSF proposes, and that is pretty
> clear [1]. Any reasons not to comply with that?

A very good point.  Stepping back, there is a question of what's legal
and where the line is.  But there's another question of what individuals
and the Free Software community think of as good behavior.  If someone
writes software and makes it available under a Free License, politenss
at least demands that those who copy/modify/distribute/use the software
respect their wishes about what the license means.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Dumb Licensing Questions
@ 2016-12-24 13:10         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-12-24 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw