unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* system
@ 2014-10-19 22:55 Tim Even
From: Tim Even @ 2014-10-19 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

Hello,

I've been using Chez/Petite Scheme's system command as a sort of Scheme
interface to Netpbm and other executables.   Any information -- more than
what is in the documentation -- on a Guile equivalent?

Thanks

--
Tim R. Even
Alcott College Prep

* Re: system
@ 2014-10-20  7:19 ` Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer @ 2014-10-20  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tim Even; +Cc: guile-user

Tim Even <timreven54@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using Chez/Petite Scheme's system command as a sort of
> Scheme interface to Netpbm and other executables. Any information --
> more than what is in the documentation -- on a Guile equivalent?

Guile has a `system' procedure as well.

Note that its behavior does not seem to be one-to-one equivalent to that
of Chez; you can refer to its documentation for details.

Taylan

* Re: system
@ 2014-10-20 20:12   ` Barry Schwartz
From: Barry Schwartz @ 2014-10-20 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer; +Cc: Tim Even, guile-user

Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer <taylanbayirli@gmail.com> skribis:
> Tim Even <timreven54@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've been using Chez/Petite Scheme's system command as a sort of
> > Scheme interface to Netpbm and other executables. Any information --
> > more than what is in the documentation -- on a Guile equivalent?
>
> Guile has a `system' procedure as well.
>
> Note that its behavior does not seem to be one-to-one equivalent to that
> of Chez; you can refer to its documentation for details.
>
> Taylan

The POSIX Processes section. There are system and system*, and POSIX
fork-and-exec primitives for the adventurous.

A string search on system* in the one-page html version of the manual
(my favorite version) should find it most easily.