Hello, > As far as I inderstand the Debian package manager mantains a package > database. This is the place where it looks for installed packages. So, > if I have a newer version of guile which is not installed through the > package manager, the package manager will not know about it. even if you are locked in a debian stable, you can, and you should in the case of guile really, install packages from testing, unstable and even experimental [which is not recommended unless you know what you are doing of course]. So: update your /etc/apt/sources.list, add a line with testing source update you /etc/preferences Package: * Pin: release a=stable Pin-Priority: 800 Package: guile Pin: release a=testing Pin-Priority: 600 aptitude update aptitude search for the guile-2.0 package aptitude entry press enter [Menu: Package -> information] select and install the testing version [2.0.11+1-1 as of today] with that setting, aptitude|debian future updates will track and offer you to update the installed guile-2.0 testing package, while keeping everything else on stable... there are doc about that, duckduckgo for it... Cheers, David