unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Hanging at open-input-pipe now and then
@ 2004-02-06 11:01 Roland Orre
From: Roland Orre @ 2004-02-06 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lately it happens quite often that I get a hanging (in 1.7), but
breakable, when doing somthing like:

(let* ((in0 (open-input-pipe (string-append "zcat " fname)))
       (buf (read-line in0))
       (in (begin
	     (close-pipe in0)
	     (open-input-pipe (string-append "zcat " fname))))
       )

This hanging can occur rather soon after a restart. When it starts to
happen it will happen again after every 2-20 tries. When the hanging
does not start to happen I can do this several tousand times in a row
without problems.

I haven't investigated this very deeply yet, but just an observation.
The guardian pipe-guardian used in ice-9/popen.scm always have two
reachable pointers after gc, despite the pointers can't be reached.

Anyone else having similar problems?

	Best regards
	Roland Orre

* Re: Hanging at open-input-pipe now and then
@ 2004-02-14 23:55 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2004-02-14 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

8 days, 12 hours, 36 minutes, 27 seconds ago,
Roland Orre wrote:
> Lately it happens quite often that I get a hanging (in 1.7), but
> breakable, when doing somthing like:

I did have similar problems with 1.6.4.  I have no idea how to reproduce
it, though.

Thanks,
Ludovic.