unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Slightly confused - what's the 'active' version of Guile
@ 2003-10-26 17:45 Roland Besserer
From: Roland Besserer @ 2003-10-26 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've been working with guile for a while and the version I've used is
1.6.4. I have, for example, modified the greg code to work with that
release and done some extensions to make it closer to expect.

Anyway, following exchanges on this group, I mostly see references to
guile version 1.4.x - almost never 1.6.x!

Could someone enlighten me? Is 1.6.x not considered the latest working
release?

Regards

roland

* Re: Slightly confused - what's the 'active' version of Guile
@ 2003-10-26 18:22 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2003-10-26 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

   From: Roland Besserer <roland@motorola.com>
   Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:45:18 -0800

   Could someone enlighten me?

this person would have to know you very well to do a good job.

   Is 1.6.x not considered the latest working release?

depends who you ask (as usual).  the impersonal "it" is no friend of the
inquisitive, although the upgrade fashion victims don't seem to mind.
the sooner you know yourself the sooner you know the best way to find
trust in others.

all this is to say you would do well to examine what aspects of guile
(or any software for which there is source code available) you find
attractive and only afterwards see which label is affixed to the guile
that provides those aspects.  this approach will suit your needs better
in the long run, than the alternative, which is to jump on the latest
w/o question, which is fine if your needs coincide w/ that which is
provided but tricky to guarantee w/ human beings involved.

thi

* Re: Slightly confused - what's the 'active' version of Guile
@ 2003-10-26 20:41 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2003-10-26 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Roland Besserer <roland@motorola.com> writes:

> I've been working with guile for a while and the version I've used is
> 1.6.4. I have, for example, modified the greg code to work with that
> release and done some extensions to make it closer to expect.
>
> Anyway, following exchanges on this group, I mostly see references to
> guile version 1.4.x - almost never 1.6.x!
>
> Could someone enlighten me? Is 1.6.x not considered the latest working
> release?

1.6.x is the official 'stable' series.  `Official' means it is the
version released by the FSF.

1.7.x is the official 'unstable' series where most development
happens.

1.4.x is the old series that predated the 1.6.x series.  It is
maintained 'inofficially' by those who don't want to make the switch
to 1.6.x.

Most talk here on the list is about versions 1.6.x or 1.7.x (which is
sometimes also called "CVS HEAD" or similar) without explicitely
stating that 1.4.x is not meant.

When you have a good reason to use the 1.4.x series, we would like to
know about this reason so that we can try to make it go away.

* Re: Slightly confused - what's the 'active' version of Guile
@ 2003-10-27  5:26   ` Allister MacLeod
From: Allister MacLeod @ 2003-10-27  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 09:41:07PM +0100, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Roland Besserer <roland@motorola.com> writes:
> > Anyway, following exchanges on this group, I mostly see references to
> > guile version 1.4.x - almost never 1.6.x!
> Most talk here on the list is about versions 1.6.x or 1.7.x (which is
> sometimes also called "CVS HEAD" or similar) without explicitely
> stating that 1.4.x is not meant.
> When you have a good reason to use the 1.4.x series, we would like to
> know about this reason so that we can try to make it go away.

I like Marius's answer better.  Thi's makes my head spin.
Then again, most of Thi's postings today have imparted some sort of
torque to my cranium or its contents (or energy state).

,sreehC
 retsillA

--
Allister MacLeod <amacleod@mv3d.com>
 Elen síla lúmenn'omentielvo.

* Re: Slightly confused - what's the 'active' version of Guile
@ 2003-10-29  0:57     ` Roland Besserer
From: Roland Besserer @ 2003-10-29  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

So it's not just me experiencing an instantaneous Philosophy 101 relapse
while reading Thi's response :-)

Allister MacLeod<amacleod@mv3d.com> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 09:41:07PM +0100, Marius Vollmer wrote:
>
> I like Marius's answer better.  Thi's makes my head spin.
> Then again, most of Thi's postings today have imparted some sort of
> torque to my cranium or its contents (or energy state).

--
Roland Besserer
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
Motorola Broadband Communications Sector
55 Las Colinas Lane
San Jose, CA 95119
+1 408 284 6181
+1 408 504 4178 GSM