unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Heap is growing without bound
@ 2002-10-08 22:20 Marc Singer
From: Marc Singer @ 2002-10-08 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using guile in a program intended to run continuously for years.
I'm observing that the freestore is growing without bound.  What can I
do to discover the cause for this?

I've determined that alloc_some_heap is being called every few hours
to add about 300K of space to the freestore.  I'm not sure that the
allocations in the freestore are growing.  My vmsize is getting larger
as is the size of the working set.

* Re: Heap is growing without bound
@ 2002-10-09 18:31 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2002-10-09 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

    Marc> I'm using guile in a program intended to run continuously for years.
    Marc> I'm observing that the freestore is growing without bound.  What can I
    Marc> do to discover the cause for this?

    Marc> I've determined that alloc_some_heap is being called every few hours
    Marc> to add about 300K of space to the freestore.  I'm not sure that the
    Marc> allocations in the freestore are growing.  My vmsize is getting larger
    Marc> as is the size of the working set.

Hi Marc,

For this kind of problem, you will almost certainly need either to
share your program with us, or - if you can't do that - find a way to
reproduce the problem with a simplified program that you can share.

Regards,
        Neil

* Re: Heap is growing without bound
@ 2002-10-09 19:34   ` Marc Singer
From: Marc Singer @ 2002-10-09 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 07:31:11PM +0100, Neil Jerram wrote:

>     Marc> I'm using guile in a program intended to run continuously for years.
>     Marc> I'm observing that the freestore is growing without bound.  What can I
>     Marc> do to discover the cause for this?
>
>     Marc> I've determined that alloc_some_heap is being called every few hours
>     Marc> to add about 300K of space to the freestore.  I'm not sure that the
>     Marc> allocations in the freestore are growing.  My vmsize is getting larger
>     Marc> as is the size of the working set.
>
> Hi Marc,
>
> For this kind of problem, you will almost certainly need either to
> share your program with us, or - if you can't do that - find a way to
> reproduce the problem with a simplified program that you can share.

Let me see what I can do.  It is probably possible for me to do this.
I'm still looking for proof that there is a problem.  This means that
I'm looking for some kind of incriminating detail.  At the moment, all
I can be sure of is that the virtual memory space for my application
is growing and that there are several freestore regions allocated.