unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Re: guile-1.7.0 - srfi-13 - Segmentation fault
       [not found]   ` <3C8D7569.E2AE6D0F@altosw.be>
@ 2002-03-12 12:23     ` Martin Grabmueller
From: Martin Grabmueller @ 2002-03-12 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mvo, guile-user

> From: David Pirotte <david@altosw.be>
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:26:33 -0300
>
> I just downloaded the latest guile-1.7 cvs and:
>
> 	guile> (use-modules (srfi srfi-13))
> 	guile> (string-titlecase "LIège")
> 	"LièGe"						<== should be "Liège"
> 	guile> (string-capitalize "LIège")
> 	"LièGe"						<== should be "Liège"
> 	guile> (string-capitalize "LIege")
> 	"Liege"						ok
> 	guile> (string-capitalize "L'ECLUSE")
> 	"L'Ecluse"					ok
> 	guile> (string-capitalize "L'éCLUSE")
> 	"L'éCluse"					<== should be "L'écluse"
>
> it appears that anything folling an 8-bit char is capitalised, where it should
> not necessarily (I think)

string-titlecase (and string-capitalize as well, I think) capitalise
every alphabetic character after a non-alphabetic character, and they
are only prepared for 7-bit ASCII for now.  They use the function
scm_char_alphabetic_p to check whether a character is alphabetic or
not, and this is unfortunately not enough for anyone outside US and
GB...

I thought I had mentioned that in the docs, but apparently not.
Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now, but maybe someone else
could add an explanation to the docs for the string case mapping
procedures.

'martin

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-03-12 12:23 UTC | newest]