The current Scheme Language Steering Committee was appointed in January, 2004. We have seen the Scheme Standardization process, as envisioned in the charter from November, 2003, through to the ratification of the R6RS in 2007. We believe that the R6RS is not the end of the Scheme language standardization process, and that the Scheme language must continue to evolve. However, it was never our intention to be "Scheme Czars for Life." It is time to turn the process over to other hands, so that the Scheme language will remain alive and healthy for years to come. The Scheme Standardization Charter says, "The Steering Committee itself shall establish procedures for replacing its members." It is therefore our intention to hold an election to replace ourselves. Our plan is to publish a detailed plan and have a period for comments on the plan, as we did for the ratification process. I announced this at the Scheme Workshop in Victoria, British Columbia on 9/20/08, so I am announcing it to this list now. We still have a few details to iron out (and I'm travelling for the next several weeks), so I expect the draft plan and official opening of the comment period to take place sometime in October. The mailing list r6rs-discuss@lists.r6rs.org is open now for discussion on this topic. For Alan and Guy, --Mitch Wand