unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* [ANN] guile-msgpack: MessagePack for GNU Guile (+ help needed)
@ 2018-09-19 12:33 HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2018-09-19 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello Schemers,

I am pleased to announce to the public a project I have been working on for a
while: an implementation of the MessagePack[1] data serialization format for
GNU Guile.

https://gitlab.com/HiPhish/guile-msgpack

## What is MessagePack ##

MessagePack is a specification for how to turn data into byte and vice-versa.
Think of it like JSON, except instead of human readability it stresses speed
and size efficiency. The format is binary and well suited for data exchange
between processes. It also forms the basis of the MessagePack RPC protocol[2].

## About the Guile implementation ##

My implementation is written in pure Guile Scheme, so it should work out of
the box. You can try it out without installing anything. Just clone the repo
and give it a try:

    $ guile -L .

    scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (msgpack)
    scheme@(guile-user)> (pack "hello" 1337 #t)
    $1 = #vu8(165 104 101 108 108 111 205 5 57 195)

As you can see, the three objects passed to the `pack` procedure have been
turned into one big bytevector. We could now unpack this bytevector again,
write it to a file, or send if off to a port. Since using MessagePack with
ports is a frequent task there is also a `pack!` procedure which takes in a
port to pack to as well.

    (define hodgepodge (vector 1 2 '#(3 #t) "foo"))
    (pack! hodgepodge (current-output-port))

To get our object back we `unpack` it:

    (unpack #vu8(#xA5 #x68 #x65 #x6C #x6C #x6F))  ; Returns "hello"
    (unpack! (current-input-port))

The readme goes into more detail and the (Texinfo) manual has the complete
documentation. Building it is simple enough with the included makefile.

## What's next? ##

Next is your feedback! Once the library has settled down I would like to make
it into a Guix package. From there I can then start building a MessagePack RPC
implementation and finally a Neovim client which will allow people to write
plugins for Neovim in GNU Guile. (yes, Vim plugins written in Lisp, who would
have thought?)

## Help needed ##

This is my first time making a full project in Guile, so I would appreciate it
if someone with more experience could look over my code. I have written down
some things I could think of in the todo file. In particular I would like to
know:

How much is portability a concern? I know Guile implements *some* or r6rs, but
I wasn't paying much attention to that. Is it something worth considering or
should I just treat Guile as its own language that just so happens to be based
on Scheme?

The extension type `ext` (msgpack/ext.scm) is a pair of a signed 8-bit integer
and a bytevector. The constructor does not enforce this condition, the two
slots can be really anything. What it the proper way of enforcing this in
Guile? I know Common Lisp has type declarations and Racket has contracts, but
what does Guile have?

The `pack` procedure takes any number of objects and packs them into a large
bytevector. However, the `unpack` procedure only returns the first object it
unpacks. Is there a way of making it unpack as many as it can? I thought of
`values`, but you would need to know the number of values in advance. Also the
caller would have to know in advance how many objects he is going to get
unpacked.

As I said, there is more in the todo file, but the other questions are under
the hood, not user-visible.

## The inevitable panhandling ##

I don't want to go into this too much, because no one likes to read it, but if
you like my MessagePack implementation I would really appreciate if you could
spare some cash. Links are in the readme; at the moment I only have Liberapay
set up, if anyone can recommend me a service for one-time donations that would
be cool. All the services I could find were about fundraising for charity and
stuff, not what I was looking for.

[1] https://msgpack.org/
[2] https://github.com/msgpack-rpc/msgpack-rpc

* Re: [ANN] guile-msgpack: MessagePack for GNU Guile (+ help needed)
@ 2018-09-19 13:29 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2018-09-19 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hiphish; +Cc: Guile User

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 8:34 AM HiPhish <hiphish@posteo.de> wrote:

> ## What is MessagePack ##
>
> MessagePack is a specification for how to turn data into byte and vice-versa.
> Think of it like JSON, except instead of human readability it stresses speed
> and size efficiency. The format is binary and well suited for data exchange
> between processes. It also forms the basis of the MessagePack RPC protocol[2].

This is cool! I've seen people use MessagePack for multiplayer video
games.  Maybe now that this library exists I will give that a try some
day.

> ## About the Guile implementation ##
>
> My implementation is written in pure Guile Scheme, so it should work out of
> the box. You can try it out without installing anything. Just clone the repo
> and give it a try:
>
>     $ guile -L .
>
>     scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (msgpack)
>     scheme@(guile-user)> (pack "hello" 1337 #t)
>     $1 = #vu8(165 104 101 108 108 111 205 5 57 195)
>
> As you can see, the three objects passed to the `pack` procedure have been
> turned into one big bytevector. We could now unpack this bytevector again,
> write it to a file, or send if off to a port. Since using MessagePack with
> ports is a frequent task there is also a `pack!` procedure which takes in a
> port to pack to as well.
>
>     (define hodgepodge (vector 1 2 '#(3 #t) "foo"))
>     (pack! hodgepodge (current-output-port))
>
> To get our object back we `unpack` it:
>
>     (unpack #vu8(#xA5 #x68 #x65 #x6C #x6C #x6F))  ; Returns "hello"
>     (unpack! (current-input-port))

So does this allow for sending over arbitrarily nested s-expressions
(i.e. anything supported by Guile's 'read' and 'write' procedures)?
For example:

    (pack '((foo . 1) (bar . (2 3 4)) (baz . "hello")))

> How much is portability a concern? I know Guile implements *some* or r6rs, but
> I wasn't paying much attention to that. Is it something worth considering or
> should I just treat Guile as its own language that just so happens to be based
> on Scheme?

FWIW I do the latter. I write my projects specifically for Guile, but
often my projects have to be that way because there's no Scheme
standard that provides the interfaces I use.

> The extension type `ext` (msgpack/ext.scm) is a pair of a signed 8-bit integer
> and a bytevector. The constructor does not enforce this condition, the two
> slots can be really anything. What it the proper way of enforcing this in
> Guile? I know Common Lisp has type declarations and Racket has contracts, but
> what does Guile have?

Guile doesn't provide any static type system. I haven't looked at your
source, but when you say "a pair", do you mean a literal cons cell?
If so, I recommend switching to record types via the (srfi srfi-9)
module.  You can write a custom constructor that does the type checks
if you'd like.

> The `pack` procedure takes any number of objects and packs them into a large
> bytevector. However, the `unpack` procedure only returns the first object it
> unpacks. Is there a way of making it unpack as many as it can? I thought of
> `values`, but you would need to know the number of values in advance. Also the
> caller would have to know in advance how many objects he is going to get
> unpacked.

You could resolve this by changing 'pack' to only accept a single
value. If the user wants to pack multiple items, then they would pass
a list or vector.

Hope this helps,

- Dave

* Re: [ANN] guile-msgpack: MessagePack for GNU Guile (+ help needed)
@ 2018-09-19 14:06   ` HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2018-09-19 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user; +Cc: Thompson, David

Thompson, David wrote:
> So does this allow for sending over arbitrarily nested s-expressions
> (i.e. anything supported by Guile's 'read' and 'write' procedures)?
> For example:
>
>     (pack '((foo . 1) (bar . (2 3 4)) (baz . "hello")))
Not quite, you are limited to the types MessagePack defines, because the
recipient might have no idea what types Guile has. Think of it like binary
JSON. However, the standard leaves room for your own extension via the `ext`
type. There is an example in the documentation:

    (define (rational->ext x)
      (make-ext 13
                (pack (vector (numerator   x)
                              (denominator x)))))

Let's say you want to pack an exact rational number while preserving its
exactness. There is nothing in the spec that supports such a type, so we will
chose to represent rational number as an extension with the number 13 (no
particular reason). An extension is a pair of a number and the data as a
bytevector. The simplest way to encode the numerator and denominator is to
pack a vector of the two numbers.

You can now pack this ext object and send it off through a port where on the
other end the recipient hopefully knows what to do with an extension object of
type 13:

    (pack! (rational->ext 2/3) (current-output-port))

If you receive such an object it's easy to make a rational number from it
again:

    (define (ext13->rational e)
      ;; The data gets unpacked as a vector of two numbers
      (define numbers (unpack (ext-data e)))
      ;; The result is the quotient of those two numbers
      (/ (vector-ref numbers 0)
         (vector-ref numbers 1)))

If you don't want to go through this conversion ritual every time you can also
register rational numbers with the `packing-table` parameter. The manual goes
into more detail. But yes, with extension you could in principle pack an
expression like ` '((foo . 1) (bar . (2 3 4)) (baz . "hello"))`, you would
just have to first define *how* to pack pairs. Symbols are currently packed as
strings, but that can be overridden as well.

> Guile doesn't provide any static type system. I haven't looked at your
> source, but when you say "a pair", do you mean a literal cons cell?
> If so, I recommend switching to record types via the (srfi srfi-9)
> module.  You can write a custom constructor that does the type checks
> if you'd like.
I already use SRFI 9 (define-record-type) to generate everything, an `ext` is
a record with two slots. I'll look into it again then, seems like I missed
that part.

> You could resolve this by changing 'pack' to only accept a single
> value. If the user wants to pack multiple items, then they would pass
> a list or vector.
MessagePack already defines arrays (vectors), so packing a vector of three
objects and packing three objects is not the same.

* Re: [ANN] guile-msgpack: MessagePack for GNU Guile (+ help needed)
@ 2018-09-19 14:12 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2018-09-19 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hiphish; +Cc: guile-user

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 8:33 AM HiPhish <hiphish@posteo.de> wrote:

Since using MessagePack with
> ports is a frequent task there is also a `pack!` procedure which takes in
> port to pack to as well.

By convention, Scheme procedures whose only side effect is on a port
don't use the ! in their names: we write `read`, `write`, `display`, not
`read!`, `write!`, `display!`.

I would suggest calling them pack-and-write and read-and-unpack;
you can leave out the "and-" if you think those are too long.

How much is portability a concern? I know Guile implements *some* or r6rs,
> but
> I wasn't paying much attention to that. Is it something worth considering
> or
> should I just treat Guile as its own language that just so happens to be
> based
> on Scheme?

The Scheme community is small enough that doing a little bit to make
libraries
more portable is worthwhile.  I'd use R6RS `library` instead of
Guile-specific
`define-module`, and maybe put the code proper into a separate file from the
module furniture.  (To use `include` or any other Guile-specific procedure
 in an R6RS library, add `(only (guile) include)` to the imports list.)
Using
Guile-specific procedures is not usually a problem, as there are probably
equivalents in other Schemes.

> The extension type `ext` (msgpack/ext.scm) is a pair of a signed 8-bit
> integer
> and a bytevector. The constructor does not enforce this condition, the two
> slots can be really anything. What it the proper way of enforcing this in
> Guile? I know Common Lisp has type declarations and Racket has contracts,
> but
> what does Guile have?

Usually there's just using a constructor wrapper that checks the types
before
calling the real constructor (`cons` in this case).

> Is there a way of making it unpack as many as it can?

Returning a list of values is idiomatic.  It is actually possible for a
caller to
receive multiple values without knowing how many it's going to get, but it's
probably more trouble than it's worth in this case.

> if anyone can recommend me a service for one-time donations that would
> be cool. All the services I could find were about fundraising for charity
> and
> stuff, not what I was looking for.

GoFundMe seems like the right thing.  They are large and reputable, they
only
take enough of your money to cover credit-card processing costs (for
personal
campaigns like this one), they are okay with small donations.  Although
they are
best known for crowdfunding personal emergencies, they do handle works of
art
as well (software is an art, we have Knuth's word for it).

--
John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
First known example of political correctness: After Nurhachi had united

* Re: [ANN] guile-msgpack: MessagePack for GNU Guile (+ help needed)
@ 2018-09-19 23:32   ` HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2018-09-19 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Cowan; +Cc: guile-user

John Cowan wrote:
> By convention, Scheme procedures whose only side effect is on a port
> don't use the ! in their names: we write `read`, `write`, `display`, not
> `read!`, `write!`, `display!`.
>
> I would suggest calling them pack-and-write and read-and-unpack;
> you can leave out the "and-" if you think those are too long.
That's a really good point, I did not think of. In my Racket implementation I
called the functions without exclamation mark, but that implementation lacks
pure procedures.

> The Scheme community is small enough that doing a little bit to make
> libraries
> more portable is worthwhile.  I'd use R6RS `library` instead of
> Guile-specific
> `define-module`, and maybe put the code proper into a separate file from the
> module furniture.  (To use `include` or any other Guile-specific procedure
> in an R6RS library, add `(only (guile) include)` to the imports list.)
> Using
> Guile-specific procedures is not usually a problem, as there are probably
> equivalents in other Schemes.
How popular is r6rs anyway? From what I gathered it was pretty badly received
and r7rs small was intentionally designed to be less ambitious, while the
upcoming r7rs will be larger than even Common Lisp.

> Usually there's just using a constructor wrapper that checks the types
> before
> calling the real constructor (`cons` in this case).
OK, that was my first idea, but I thought that there might be perhaps
something more idiomatic.

> Returning a list of values is idiomatic.  It is actually possible for a
> caller to
> receive multiple values without knowing how many it's going to get, but it's
> probably more trouble than it's worth in this case.
Yes, after writing my original email I found out how to bind an unknown number
of values, but there doesn't seem to be a way of returning an unknown number
of values.

> GoFundMe seems like the right thing.
GoFundMe is about fundraising campaigns, I was thinking something along the
lines of a tip-jar where you can chip in a little if you want.

* Re: [ANN] guile-msgpack: MessagePack for GNU Guile (+ help needed)
@ 2018-09-20  1:44     ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2018-09-20  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hiphish; +Cc: guile-user

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 7:32 PM HiPhish <hiphish@posteo.de> wrote:

> John Cowan wrote:
>

> How popular is r6rs anyway? From what I gathered it was pretty badly
> received
> and r7rs small was intentionally designed to be less ambitious, while the
> upcoming r7rs will be larger than even Common Lisp.

That's basically correct, but there are still a fair number of R6RS-only
implementations, and if the number isn't growing, it's not shrinking either.
Racket has an unofficial R7RS implementation, but I don't expect that
to happen with Chez, Guile, Ikarus, IronScheme, Mosh, or Ypsilon.
(Larceny and Sagittarius are hybrid R6RS/R7RS systems.)
Some of these are more in development than others, but you
never can tell with a Scheme implementation when a new release
will appear without warning.  In addition, it's not hard to transform
R6RS libraries to R7RS ones or vice versa.

> Yes, after writing my original email I found out how to bind an unknown
> number
> of values, but there doesn't seem to be a way of returning an unknown
> number
> of values.

(apply values list-of-vals) is your friend.

> > GoFundMe seems like the right thing.
> GoFundMe is about fundraising campaigns, I was thinking something along
> the
> lines of a tip-jar where you can chip in a little if you want.

You might look into Open Collective.

--
John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
They tried to pierce your heart with a Morgul-knife that remains in

* [ANN] guile-msgpack: MessagePack for GNU Guile (+ help needed)
@ 2018-09-20 11:15 Aleksandar Sandic
From: Aleksandar Sandic @ 2018-09-20 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

I have renamed `pack!` and  `unpack!` to `pack-to` and `unpack-from`,
following the advice about not using the exclamation mark suffix with side
effects regarding ports. I have also changed the order of arguments so the
first argument to `pack-to` is the port and the rest is an arbitrary number of
objects to pack.

    (pack-to (current-output-port) 2 3 "hello")

I think this also rolls better off the tongue: pack to the current output port
2, 3 and "hello".

* [ANN] guile-msgpack: MessagePack for GNU Guile (+ help needed)
@ 2018-09-20 11:24 Aleksandar Sandic
From: Aleksandar Sandic @ 2018-09-20 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Oops, wrong email address, please don't reply to this one, I'll ask the admins
to delete it...