unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-18 19:37 dsmich
From: dsmich @ 2008-07-18 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Kuehne; +Cc: Guile User

---- Andre Kuehne <andre.kuehne@gmx.net> wrote:
> Mike Gran wrote:
> > Hi-
> > If you could ask someone to write a library or package a set of functionality for Guile that it doesn't currently have, what would it be?
> > (My personal projects are near completion, and I may have some Saturdays free.)
> > -Mike
> >

> Hi Mike,
>
> 1) I would like to have a sqlite-wrapper for guile. There is a great sqlite chicken egg
>
>      http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/3/sqlite3.html
>
> if this is of any help, but even a simpler interface would be nice.

Hmm.  I have a small wrapper that I have been using in sneek (the #guile channel bot on freende) for years.  It just provides open, close, and exec.

I think it's still at http://users.adelphia.net/~dsmich/guile-sqlite-0.4.tar.gz

-Dale

[parent not found: <cmu-lmtpd-5742-1216742728-1@mail-imap1.uio.no>]
[parent not found: <cmu-lmtpd-23333-1216458306-3@mail-imap1.uio.no>]
* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-18 19:43 dsmich
From: dsmich @ 2008-07-18 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Kuehne; +Cc: guile-user

---- Andre Kuehne <andre.kuehne@gmx.net> wrote:
> 2) Displaying the signature/parameters of the function around point in the message-line of emacs
> would be helpful too.

Yes.  There ought to be a way of adding this to gds.  I think we just need some hooks for eldoc-mode, right?

-Dale

* Re: What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-18 18:38 Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2008-07-18 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User

Julian-
There are a couple of ways to do HTTP client stuff already.
TTN's Guile-WWW will do http GET.  It has the advantage of being very schemey.
Depending on you Guile setup, it may need modification.  Last time I tried to use it some time ago, it back-ported (fore-ported?) easily enough.  IIRC there was some little thing about macros that needed to be simplified to get it to work.  I don't remember exactly.  It doesn't (or perhaps didn't) do POST, though.
Alternately, Guile-GNOME has the Gnome-vfs interface wrapped.  This does some http client stuff.
I think either of these would be enough for simple things.
But in terms of more featureful libraries that could be adapted/wrapped, I rather like libcurl.  Bigloo scheme has bindings for this one.  It does all the LDAP and https stuff.
But then again libcurl doesn't do webdav.
The neon client library does do webdav.
-Mike Gran

* What new libraries or functionality does Guile need?
@ 2008-07-18 17:13 Mike Gran