unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Syntactic significance of dot
@ 2014-09-22 18:12 Richard Shann
From: Richard Shann @ 2014-09-22 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guile-user

I've come across some (working) scheme code whose meaning I can't
unravel. The problem is there is a "." character whose significance
eludes me. The guile reference doesn't index this character, and I can
only find references to it in writing literal pairs.
But I'm sure someone experienced would recognize what this could be (the
dot occurs on the eleventh line):

  (define (ignatzek-format-exception
           root
           exception-markup
           bass-pitch
           lowercase-root?)

    (make-line-markup
     `(
       ,(name-root root lowercase-root?)
       ,exception-markup
       .
       ,(if (ly:pitch? bass-pitch)
            (list (ly:context-property context 'slashChordSeparator)
                  (name-note bass-pitch #f))
            '()))))

Richard Shann

* Re: Syntactic significance of dot
@ 2014-09-22 18:32 ` Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2014-09-22 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: richard; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

> I've come across some (working) scheme code whose meaning I can't
> unravel. The problem is there is a "." character whose significance
> eludes me. The guile reference doesn't index this character, and I can
> only find references to it in writing literal pairs.
> But I'm sure someone experienced would recognize what this could be (the
> dot occurs on the eleventh line):
>
>   (define (ignatzek-format-exception
>            root
>            exception-markup
>            bass-pitch
>            lowercase-root?)
>
>     (make-line-markup
>      `(
>        ,(name-root root lowercase-root?)
>        ,exception-markup
>        .
>        ,(if (ly:pitch? bass-pitch)
>             (list (ly:context-property context 'slashChordSeparator)
>                   (name-note bass-pitch #f))
>             '()))))
>
> The dot is used in the default representation of improper lists, i.e.
lists whose last element is not the '() object. The element appearing after
the dot is the element pointed to by the last cdr in the sequence of cons
pairs.
Therefore, if you do (cons 'a 'b), you get
(a . b)
and if you nest it in other conses, e.g. (cons 'c (cons 'a 'b)),
you get
(a b . c)

this is a syntactic equivalent of

(a . (b . c))

(i.e. it makes no difference to the reader whether you write '(a b . c) or
'(a . (b . c)). Likewise, instead of writing (+ 2 3), you can write (+ . (2
. (3 . ()))) and you'll still get 5. Try it out!)

The limitation is that only one element can (and has to) appear after the
period, and at least one element needs to appear before it. Otherwise you
get a syntax voilation:

'(1 2 . 3)
===> (1 2 3)
'(1 2 . 3 4)
===> error
'(. 3)
===> 3 (it seems to work in guile incidentally, but fails in racket)

This behaviour is coherent in the context of quasiquote:
(let ((a 1) (b 2) (c 3))
  `(,a ,b . ,c))
yields
(1 2 3)

Note however, that if c was a list, it would be appended to the end:

(let ((a 1)(b 2)(c '(3 4 5)))
  `(,a ,b . ,c))
===> (1 2 3 4 5)

Note also, that using unquote in the tail position is equivalent to using
unquote-splicing with the last element, so the last example is equivalent
with:

(let ((a 1)(b 2)(c '(3 4 5))
  `(,a ,b ,@c))

HTH
M.

* Re: Syntactic significance of dot
@ 2014-09-22 18:38   ` Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2014-09-22 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: richard; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

A little errata:

> The limitation is that only one element can (and has to) appear after the
> period, and at least one element needs to appear before it. Otherwise you
> get a syntax voilation:
>
> '(1 2 . 3)
> ===> (1 2 3)

Should be:
===> (1 2 . 3)

Also, the dotted pair syntax and its eqivalent list syntax were both
established by John McCarthy in his 1960 paper which introduced LISP to the
world:
http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/recursive/recursive.html (section 3)

* Re: Syntactic significance of dot
@ 2014-09-22 18:43   ` Panicz Maciej Godek
From: Panicz Maciej Godek @ 2014-09-22 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: richard; +Cc: guile-user@gnu.org

A little more errata :)
[sorry for the confusion]

> This behaviour is coherent in the context of quasiquote:
> (let ((a 1) (b 2) (c 3))
>   `(,a ,b . ,c))
> yields
> (1 2 3)

Should be:

yields
(1 2 . 3)

* Re: Syntactic significance of dot
@ 2014-09-22 21:01 ` Marko Rauhamaa
From: Marko Rauhamaa @ 2014-09-22 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: richard; +Cc: guile-user

Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com>:

> I've come across some (working) scheme code whose meaning I can't
> unravel. The problem is there is a "." character whose significance
> eludes me. The guile reference doesn't index this character, and I can
> only find references to it in writing literal pairs.

That's what it's for and nothing else, including in your example.

    (a b . c)

is equivalent to

    (a . (b . c))

Marko

* Re: Syntactic significance of dot
@ 2014-09-23  8:49   ` Richard Shann
From: Richard Shann @ 2014-09-23  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Marko Rauhamaa, Panicz Maciej Godek; +Cc: guile-user

On Tue, 2014-09-23 at 00:01 +0300, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com>:
>
> > I've come across some (working) scheme code whose meaning I can't
> > unravel. The problem is there is a "." character whose significance
> > eludes me. The guile reference doesn't index this character, and I can
> > only find references to it in writing literal pairs.
>
> That's what it's for and nothing else, including in your example.
>
>     (a b . c)
>
> is equivalent to
>
>     (a . (b . c))

Thank you for the replies to my email. I see that in the case I cited it
is being used to construct a list - the last element is a list.

This looks like a major omission in the guile documentation, under pairs
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Pairs.html#Pairs
it says:

"Pairs can literally get entered in source code or at the REPL, in the
so-called dotted list syntax. This syntax consists of an opening
parentheses, the first element of the pair, a dot, the second element
and a closing parentheses."

and under lists
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/List-Syntax.html#List-Syntax

"The syntax for lists is an opening parentheses, then all the elements
of the list (separated by whitespace) and finally a closing
parentheses."

but the syntax for a list can also be
...then elements of the list (separated by whitespace) a dot followed by
a list followed by a closing parenthesis"

- this doesn't quite describe using this syntax for improper lists
though.

Anyway, I am thoroughly educated on this topic now :) Thank you both
very much.

Richard