On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 07:50 +0100, Marco Maggi wrote: > 3. For Guile 2.0 backwards compatibility at the C level can > be broken. Freely. No shame. No blame. This message references another message that I can't find: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2003-04/msg00076.html > 4. If a garbage collector allows to remove the need for > "scm_remember_upto_here" it must be adopted even if it > makes Guile slower and it raises memory usage a bit (or > more than a bit). I am not a GC expert, but it is my understanding that as long as SMOBs can own non-GC-controlled mallocations freed by the SMOB free function, you need those macros/functions, GCPRO structures, or refcounting to work with C code that can poke at their contents. I guess you could disable GC while executing subrs not marked safe-for-GC.... > 6c. GMP support should go into a loadable module (do not > nuke my mailbox, please). Er, what would happen if you overflow fixnums? > 7a. It makes no sense to discuss if Guile should go R6RS or > not. The only meaningful discussion is about which > hooks are needed in Guile's code to make those features > available as loadable modules. (Yes, this is > difficult). 7a1. Inter-module hygiene/implicit exports. > 1. TCL has nice programs that allow to distribute single > file auto-extracting-and-running archives holding the > core executable, shared libraries, pure TCL modules and > some data files (search for "tclkit"). I know of SBCL, CLISP, and PLT also doing this, but much more sophisticated for the former 2. -- Our last-ditch plan is to change the forums into a podcast, then send RSS feeds into the blogosphere so our users can further debate the legality of mashups amongst this month's 20 'sexiest' gadgets. --Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka