unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* docs and misc
@ 2002-03-28 22:32 Lynn Winebarger
From: Lynn Winebarger @ 2002-03-28 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

   I just wanted to say, the documentation seems to have improved a _lot_
since last time I played with Guile.  And these features are lip-smacking
good.  Me Likey!

   What's the status of the guile virtual machine?  I saw in the archives
Mikael Djurfeldt saying they had got 20x the interpreted speed, but the
guile-vm cvs module's changelog doesn't have any date after April 2001.

Lynn

* Re: docs and misc
@ 2002-04-02  6:05 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-04-02  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org> writes:

>    What's the status of the guile virtual machine?  I saw in the archives
> Mikael Djurfeldt saying they had got 20x the interpreted speed, but the
> guile-vm cvs module's changelog doesn't have any date after April 2001.

I don't think it's actually under further development right now --
I believe it's dormant.

FWIW I worked with/on hobbit and guile 1.5.X for a while, and
concluded (after some discussion) that before I spent any more time on
hobbit/vm/lightning, etc. guile needed a bit more fundamental work on
its executation model.  Until then I suspect it's going to be much
harder to make substantial progress on the other compilation fronts.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu