From: Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com>
To: guile-devel@gnu.org
Subject: pax mprotect and guile build process
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 11:13:29 -0500

(I think I may have reported this earlier but I can't find it.)

NetBSD runs with pax mprotect by default.  Guile's JIT has trouble with
this, due to the nature of JIT.

In pkgsrc, we have:

  NOT_MPROTECT_SAFE+=     ${GUILE_PREFIX}/bin/guile

to do "paxctl +m" for guile as installed.  However, during the build,
the guile that has been built is used, and that guile fails.  So this
needs to be hoisted to guile's build procedure, not just a patch
afterwards.

I can't find any paxctl in the guile build procedure.

I would expect this problem to occur on all systems that have pax
mprotect on by default, and would also expect most systems to be doing
that these days.  So it doesn't make sense to me that I am the only one
seeing this.

So I wonder how this generally works on GNU/Linux systems?