A partial update: I am using 2.0.11 now. After updating to libgc 7.4.0, I have the same problem with a similar stack trace. libgc is built without threads and passes it's "gmake check". I have the same problem with libgc 7.4.0 on netbsd-5/i386 (libgc passes gmake check on this combination also). On netbsd-5/i386, I tried to build libgc and guile with threads, but it failed to link with tls_get_addr. This is likely a known lack of support in netbsd-5 which AFAIK doesn't provide thread-local storage. I haven't yet compiled libgc and guile with debugging symbols and without optimization; I realize that's what I need to do to figure this out. I read a bit of the code to get started understanding the boot sequence. It seems there is detection of stack growth detection. I wonder if that's somehow going astray. I am curious if others are having success on other *BSD, and which versions and architectures.