Ludovic Courtès writes: > Greg Troxel skribis: > >> I have been meaning to try to build this under NetBSD, to check >> portability. I think the mmap code should by default rely only on what >> POSIX guarantees: >> https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/mmap.html > > Agreed. Great to hear that. There are a bunch of guile fans in BSD-land and we try to keep up :-) After I wrote, I actually did get to testing on netbsd-9 amd64, which was easier than I thought it might be. With the patch Matt sent, guile 3.0.8 built (and packaged under pkgsrc), and I was able to see the mmap functions docs in the repl. I tried to run the tests but got an undefined symbol, not apparently related. My machine is in the process of rebuilding most packages and I will revist when that's done, starting with tests on unmodified 3.0.8. >> As for referring to glibc, that reference only resolves on GNU/Linux >> systems, whereas any POSIX system ought to have an mmap man page, so it >> would be nice not to drop the man page ref, esp. as it grounds the >> implementation as being about the POSIX interface. > > The manual can mention the man page too, sure, but note that the manual > already refers to glibc’s for all things libc. I see -- I guess there is a fine line between glibc the implementation of what C99/POSIX defines as "what must be in libc" the spec, but that's a big can of worms and if this documentation ends up like the existing one, then it is not reasonable for me to worry about it :-)