* html mails
@ 2002-04-03 21:17 Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-04-03 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Guile,

  Would you mind to forbid HTML mails for this list?
  At least 99% of this SPAM is in HTML!

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: html mails
@ 2002-04-08  0:38 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-04-08  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guile Development List

"Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de> writes:

> Hallo Guile,
>
>   Would you mind to forbid HTML mails for this list?
>   At least 99% of this SPAM is in HTML!

I'd rather have you filter them locally.

* Re: html mails
@ 2002-04-19 21:11   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-04-19 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Hallo Marius,

> "Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de> writes:

>> Hallo Guile,
>>
>>   Would you mind to forbid HTML mails for this list?
>>   At least 99% of this SPAM is in HTML!

> I'd rather have you filter them locally.

Then I need to fetch them all from the POP3 server.
Why isn't it 'standard'  on mailinglists to use only
text mail?  It is our list and we can decide whether
we want to have this SPAM (which is about 30-50% of
the whole traffic in this list) or if we don't want it.

Everyone who wants to read and write this list should
be able to use plain text, so why not filter out those
SPAM's at the server?  There is no other list I'm on
where so much SPAM is coming in like this one here!

They use the lists for exploding their bullshit,
one address to send mail to, thousand who gets it
delivered...

Count the KB's of traffic they generate!

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: html mails
@ 2002-04-20  6:44     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-04-20  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mvo, guile-devel

   From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de>
   Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:11:18 +0200

   Count the KB's of traffic they generate!

approximately 4MB (200+ msgs) over one week.

thi

* Re: html mails
@ 2002-04-20 12:21       ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2002-04-20 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gp, mvo, guile-devel

    Thien-Thi>    From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de>
    Thien-Thi>    Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:11:18 +0200

    Thien-Thi>    Count the KB's of traffic they generate!

    Thien-Thi> approximately 4MB (200+ msgs) over one week.

And it makes the archives less useful.  I definitely support filtering
at the server.

Doesn't Savannah have click-of-a-button support for this kind of thing
anyway?

        Neil

* Re: html mails
@ 2002-04-20 23:46         ` Christopher Cramer
From: Christopher Cramer @ 2002-04-20 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 01:21:54PM +0100, Neil Jerram wrote:
> And it makes the archives less useful.  I definitely support filtering
> at the server.
>
> Doesn't Savannah have click-of-a-button support for this kind of thing
> anyway?

I was under the impression that RMS was opposed to mailing list filtering
and so it doesn't happen for any gnu.org lists. It definitely makes the
archives almost useless, and Guile is not the only project that suffers
from this. Maybe someone could do their own spam-filtered list archives
or something.

--
Christopher Cramer <crayc@pyro.net> <http://www.pyro.net/~crayc/>
Quoi que vous fassiez, écrasez l'infâme, et aimez qui vous aime.

* Re: html mails
@ 2002-04-23 20:45     ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-04-23 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

"Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de> writes:

> Hallo Marius,
>
> > "Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de> writes:
>
> >> Hallo Guile,
> >>
> >>   Would you mind to forbid HTML mails for this list?
> >>   At least 99% of this SPAM is in HTML!
>
> > I'd rather have you filter them locally.
>
> Then I need to fetch them all from the POP3 server.

(You could ask your ISP to filter them for you.  But that's a weak
argument I guess.)

> Why isn't it 'standard'  on mailinglists to use only
> text mail? [...]

Well, I'm sympathetic to your cause.  I have contacted the Savannah
guys to see what they have to say about filtering spam.

The current setup would be to have Mailman filter postings based on
some header regexps (which we already do), and the list admin (that's
me right now) needs to review every such filtered article individually
and can then decide to discard it.  This doesn't scale.

I have written a small frontend to the Mailman interface that allows
me to delete all filtered postings with a single click (after
reviewing them), so technically, I'm prepared to filter out huge
amounts of stuff, and even get a chance to check whether the filters
are unintentionally picking up valid postings.

I'm also prepared to bow to some higher-up FSF policy with regard to
mailing list filtering, so I can't promise anything yet.  As a test, I
will block all text/html mails.

* Re: html mails
@ 2002-05-05 17:29       ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-05-05 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Marius,

> I'm also prepared to bow to some higher-up FSF policy with regard to
> mailing list filtering, so I can't promise anything yet.  As a test, I
> will block all text/html mails.

Cool.

I don't know how much users are on this list, but say there are about
100, then this will save sending out 20000 mails which are about 400 MB
in size in one week.  (only this list...)

Gerrit
--
=^..^=