* Highlighting in backtraces
@ 2004-09-23 18:05 Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2004-09-23 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have committed a little experiment to CVS HEAD: the bad value that
triggered a wrong-type-arg or out-of-range error is now highlighted in
backtraces.  This should compensate for the fact that argument
positions and subr names are now often missing from error messages.

Please update, make lots of errors, and let me know what you think
about it.

Previously, you would get an error message like this:

    guile> (caaar (cons (cons 'a #f) #f))

    Backtrace:
    In current input:
       1: 0* [caaar ((a . #f) . #f)]

    <unnamed port>:1:1: In procedure caaar in expression (caaar (cons # #f)):
    <unnamed port>:1:1: Wrong type argument in position 1: a
    ABORT: (wrong-type-arg)

Now it is

    guile> (caaar (cons (cons 'a #f) #f))

    Backtrace:
    In current input:
       1: 0* [caaar (({a} . #f) . #f)]

    <unnamed port>:1:1: In procedure caaar in expression (caaar (cons # #f)):
    <unnamed port>:1:1: Wrong type (expecting pair): a
    ABORT: (wrong-type-arg)

Note the "{a}": this indicates that this part of the expression is
'eq?' to the value with the wrong type.

Of course, the highlighting itself needs to be made configurable, and
maybe auomatically use boldface or color on terminals that support it.

* Re: Highlighting in backtraces
@ 2004-09-23 18:37 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2004-09-23 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.de> wrote:
> Of course, the highlighting itself needs to be made configurable, and
> maybe auomatically use boldface or color on terminals that support it.

Making it textually unambiguous would be good too.  Maybe #>foo<#?

paul