* heads up: rename from (rnrs bytevector) to (rnrs bytevectors)
@ 2010-06-01 11:28 Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-06-01 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hey all,

Somehow we had the name of (rnrs bytevectors) wrong -- it was (rnrs
bytevector). I've renamed it in git, which should make it into the
1.9.11 prerelease tonight. Sorry for the confusion!

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: heads up: rename from (rnrs bytevector) to (rnrs bytevectors)
@ 2010-06-01 13:02 ` Julian Graham
From: Julian Graham @ 2010-06-01 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-devel

Hey Andy,

> Somehow we had the name of (rnrs bytevectors) wrong -- it was (rnrs
> bytevector). I've renamed it in git, which should make it into the
> 1.9.11 prerelease tonight. Sorry for the confusion!

While you're looking at that, what do you want to do about the version
of that module (and of (rnrs io ports))?  For the purposes of R6RS,
the bytevectors library should be available as (rnrs bytevectors (6)).

(If people are opposed to adding the `:version' keyword to the module
definition and moving the file into modules/rnrs/6/, another
possibility is that we could create an R6RS library "wrapper" that has
the right version and just imports and re-exports everything from the
"native" bytevectors module.)

Regards,
Julian

* Re: heads up: rename from (rnrs bytevector) to (rnrs bytevectors)
@ 2010-06-01 14:01   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2010-06-01 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hi Julian,

Julian Graham <joolean@gmail.com> writes:

>> Somehow we had the name of (rnrs bytevectors) wrong -- it was (rnrs
>> bytevector). I've renamed it in git, which should make it into the
>> 1.9.11 prerelease tonight. Sorry for the confusion!
>
> While you're looking at that, what do you want to do about the version
> of that module (and of (rnrs io ports))?  For the purposes of R6RS,
> the bytevectors library should be available as (rnrs bytevectors (6)).

That’s fine with me, though I wouldn’t want to change it when the new
RnRS bytevector API du jour comes out [0].

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[0] http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/wiki

* Re: heads up: rename from (rnrs bytevector) to (rnrs bytevectors)
@ 2010-06-01 19:50     ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-06-01 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-devel

On Tue 01 Jun 2010 16:01, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> That’s fine with me, though I wouldn’t want to change it when the new
> RnRS bytevector API du jour comes out [0].

Yeah. I really don't know why they are bothering about this at all. The
blob API has no advantages that I can see, besides the shorter name.

Andy
--

@ 2010-06-01 19:54   ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-06-01 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Graham; +Cc: guile-devel

On Tue 01 Jun 2010 15:02, Julian Graham <joolean@gmail.com> writes:

>> Somehow we had the name of (rnrs bytevectors) wrong -- it was (rnrs
>> bytevector). I've renamed it in git, which should make it into the
>> 1.9.11 prerelease tonight. Sorry for the confusion!
>
> While you're looking at that, what do you want to do about the version
> of that module (and of (rnrs io ports))?  For the purposes of R6RS,
> the bytevectors library should be available as (rnrs bytevectors (6)).

We can add a #:version to that module. I don't want to version any
modules outside of the R6RS support modules, though, because of the stat
penalty.

  $ meta/uninstalled-env strace guile -c 1 2>&1 | grep stat | wc -l
  164

  $ meta/uninstalled-env strace guile -c '(import (rnrs (6)))' 2>&1 | grep stat | wc -l
  773

There are only 20 or so modules in (rnrs (6))...

Andy
--

@ 2010-06-01 19:58   ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-06-01 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Graham; +Cc: guile-devel

On Tue 01 Jun 2010 15:02, Julian Graham <joolean@gmail.com> writes:

> (If people are opposed to adding the `:version' keyword to the module
> definition and moving the file into modules/rnrs/6/

To be clear: I'm opposed to moving it to modules/rnrs/6, but I'm OK with
adding #:version. I have done this in git. Please let me know if you
still have concerns!

Andy
--

@ 2010-06-06 14:07     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2010-06-06 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-devel

Hello,

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

> We can add a #:version to that module. I don't want to version any
> modules outside of the R6RS support modules, though, because of the stat
> penalty.
>
>   $ meta/uninstalled-env strace guile -c 1 2>&1 | grep stat | wc -l
>   164
>
>   $ meta/uninstalled-env strace guile -c '(import (rnrs (6)))' 2>&1 | grep stat | wc -l
>   773
>
> There are only 20 or so modules in (rnrs (6))...

Ouch, impressive!

Ludo’.