* Re: Parott
@ 2002-11-09  5:26 Clinton Ebadi
From: Clinton Ebadi @ 2002-11-09  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I didn't finish my message, oops. Anyway, Parrot also has a working JIT
compiler among other things. Support for continuations is being worked on.
There is also a GC built in and big/exact number support too. It just seems
like a good idea to use Parrot.

--
http://unknownlamer.org
Truth lies in loneliness

* Re: Parott
@ 2002-11-09 15:49 ` Bill Gribble
From: Bill Gribble @ 2002-11-09 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 23:26, Clinton Ebadi wrote:
> I didn't finish my message, oops. Anyway, Parrot also has a working JIT
> compiler among other things. Support for continuations is being worked on.
> There is also a GC built in and big/exact number support too. It just seems
> like a good idea to use Parrot.

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me; it would be nice to get some
synergy from the Perl folks, and it seems like with a common bytecode
backend there could be some very nice interoperation potentials (i.e.
guile having a perl evaluator or some craziness like that).  Maybe this
is more of a practical direction to achieve the Guile dream of multiple
extension language syntaxes, too (not sure exactly how or if it relates,
but it seems like a possibility).

b.g.

* Re: Parott
@ 2002-11-10 19:40   ` Jeff Read
From: Jeff Read @ 2002-11-10 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 09:49:53AM -0600, Bill Gribble wrote:

> That sounds like a pretty good idea to me; it would be nice to get some
> synergy from the Perl folks, and it seems like with a common bytecode
> backend there could be some very nice interoperation potentials (i.e.
> guile having a perl evaluator or some craziness like that).  Maybe this
> is more of a practical direction to achieve the Guile dream of multiple
> extension language syntaxes, too (not sure exactly how or if it relates,
> but it seems like a possibility).

If synergy with other developers and multi-language compatibility is what you're after, then the logical choice would be Microsoft .NET CLR. :)

*ducks, runs, and hides*

Seriously, I think a Parrot VM target would be a good idea, but I'd like to keep the option of native compilation open. Then it would be possible to write Scheme programs that run fast, and don't have the overhead of a JIT.
--
Jeffrey T. Read
"I fight not for me but the blind babe Justice!" --Galford

* Re: Parott
@ 2002-11-18 23:56 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2002-11-18 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

    Clinton> I didn't finish my message, oops. Anyway, Parrot also has
    Clinton> a working JIT compiler among other things. Support for
    Clinton> continuations is being worked on.  There is also a GC
    Clinton> built in and big/exact number support too. It just seems
    Clinton> like a good idea to use Parrot.

Parrot?  That language looks dead to me.

        Neil

* Re: Parott
@ 2002-11-18 23:58 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2002-11-18 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-devel

    Clinton> I didn't finish my message, oops. Anyway, Parrot also has
    Clinton> a working JIT compiler among other things. Support for
    Clinton> continuations is being worked on.  There is also a GC
    Clinton> built in and big/exact number support too. It just seems
    Clinton> like a good idea to use Parrot.

I note from their web pages that the Parrot authors are already
working on a Scheme to Parrot compiler.  Perhaps you could take a look
at their distribution (if available yet) and suggest how close it
might already be to working for Guile Scheme.

        Neil